Chapter 12: The Forbidden Lands

I awoke, feeling very refreshed. Sunlight streamed in through the vines and filtered upon me. I stuck my hand out of the vines and estimated that the humidity wasn't that bad. Then I felt something crawl onto my hand and I went stone still.

My heart pounded inside my chest and I held my breath as whatever it was began to climb its way up my arm. When it poked its head through the vines, I released the breath I had been holding. It was a Scatterbug. 

"Hey there," I said, reaching out my hand to pet it, but the Scatterbug darted back behind the vines and up the tree.

I poked my head out and stared at its retreating form. "You know, that's not very nice."

As I said that, a Staraptor flew out of nowhere and snatched the Bug type in its talons. My mouth dropped open as the Flying type flew away with its breakfast.

"That's just messed up," I muttered.

I sighed and looked out at the jungle. The ground was dappled with sunlight, the huge trees everywhere I turned my head to. I could see Eric's tree home in the distance, then I noticed something else. An Elder was there, speaking to him.

Now I felt like I was intruding, but I couldn't help but wonder what they were talking about. If I could get closer...

I shook my head. "No no no. That wouldn't work even if they were speaking English."

Plus I didn't exactly want to get caught eavesdropping. My permission to stay here might get revoked, or worse. It was safe here. I didn't want to jeopardize that.

I pulled my head back into my tree and looked at my stuff. The Elders had said I was going on patrol today and Eric did get me what I needed for it. I grabbed the bag of fruit and slung it on my back, then tied the flask of water to my hip. I pulled the quiver of arrows on my shoulder as well as my bow, then hooked the knife onto my pants. I could picture an image of how cool I looked, but I had a feeling I looked ridiculous. Because that's how I felt.

I grabbed my spear and twirled it, then dropped it inches from my foot, point down. Probably not a good idea to play around with it. I decided to take it anyway. I then felt the lump beneath my shirt, feeling the metal dog tags against my chest.

I breathed in, then out. "I will survive brother. This tribe, I have a feeling it'll be a good place for me to do so."

"But," I turned my gaze back to the vines where the sunlight streamed in. "There's still something off about them. I don't know what it is, but I definitely don't know what the full story is."

I took a deep breath. "So, whatever it is, even if it goes against what you wanted me to do, I will discover the truth. It's my duty as an explorer."

I smiled sadly, thinking of what felt like a different life. 

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" Ryan had asked me once when I was younger.

"An explorer!" I had announced enthusiastically.

Ryan had smiled, tussling my hair. "And why's that?"

"Because I want to know all that there is," I remember saying confidently. "I'll leave no stone unturned to find the truth wherever I go!"

"I must hold true to myself," I whispered. "But brother, I promise I will still survive."

Making sure I had everything, I pushed aside the vines and stepped onto the mossy rocks outside. I climbed down the rocks and landed on the forest floor, ready for whatever the day could throw at me.