Chapter 7: The Lost Bulbasaur

I awoke, my muscles sore. I opened my mouth and heat flooded in. I licked my chapped lips. I needed water. 

I groaned as I got to my feet. Glancing at the dead Ursaring, I knew I needed to keep the gun with me. I picked it up and stuck it in my belt, the safety on. A couple of Nidorans scampered by along with a couple Gumshoos. I let them run through the camp and back into the jungle without disturbing them. It would be best not to anger the wild Pokemon. 

I made my way back towards the hill, pushing my way through bushes, scaring away a couple of Petilils. As I trekked back up, I found my spear, stuck between a tree roots. I tugged on it for ten seconds before it came free and I landed on my butt. A Nincada popped its head out angrily and shot sand at me. 

Covering my face, I made my way back up the hill as the Nincada went back into its hole. Once back on top of the hill, I made my way over to the stream. I washed my face and drank. Refreshed, I cleaned my knife before I stood and looked around. 

No Pokemon was in sight, but I could hear bird noises, likely Fletchlings. I carefully slid down the hill and back to the ruins. I stuck my spear into the ground and part of it cracked. I sighed. Honestly, I expected it to break much sooner than this considering the wood it was made of. 

I decided now would be a great time to explore the ruins a bit, see what I could find. I looked into the structure where the Ursaring was, but nothing. I withdrew and looked around the area. There was one other structure that was half buried into the ground. 

It was rectangular in shape, so I circled around it until I found an opening covered in vines. Brushing them aside, I stepped down into what I figured was a small bunker. Light seeped in from a hole in the roof and I could see a skeleton in the corner. Its clothes were badly ripped and faded, so I couldn't really make out what they were. 

Near it was a metal box that had rusted over. I opened it carefully, making sure not to cut myself. Inside I found bits of metal, a couple bullets, and copper wiring. I took the wires and looked around the room. In the opposite corner was a bow with a worn leather quiver of arrows. I went over to it and counted seven arrows with steel tips. I picked up a the bow and tested the string. It wasn't in bad condition, but I didn't even know how to use a bow. 

I stuffed the wires into the quiver and shouldered it. I made my way out and went back to where my broken spear was. I dumped the stuff next to it and located a long sturdy stick. I hit the ground with it a couple times to make sure it wouldn't break before I sat on a rock. It was slightly curved near one end, so I made sure to carve that as the end piece. Before I moved onto making the tip, I looked at the musket lying in the dirt feet away. The bayonet was slightly rusted, but besides that it was in perfect condition.

I took it off and measured it next to the stick. Nodding, I went over to the quiver. I took out the copper wiring and began wrapping it around both the bayonet and stick. When I was done, the blade was fastened to the stick. Swinging it made me realize it was a bit heavy, but I would get used to that. 

I heard a faint cry in the woods and looked to my left. There it was again. It sounded like a wounded Pokemon. Gripping my spear, I made my way towards the sound. Pushing through bushes, I came upon a Bulbasaur. It wasn't hurt, but it looked sad, as it continued to look around, crying out.

"Hey," I said softly, getting its attention. "It's okay."

He looked up at me with frightful eyes and cried sadly. I patted his head and looked around the area. This Bulbasaur was too young to be by himself, so that must mean he got lost. I looked back at the ruins, then back at the lonely Pokemon. It would be beneficial to stay here, but I couldn't just ignore this Pokemon in need. 

I sighed and headed back to the ruins. I shouldered the quiver and tucked the bow on my back. I went back to the Bulbasaur and looked around carefully. After a few minutes, I found tracks, big heavy ones by the looks of it. 

"Bulbasaur," I said, getting its attention. "Over here."

He waddled over and I let him sniff the tracks. His head rose, eyes gleaming and he cried joyfully.

I smiled and stood, using my spear as a walking stick. "Come on. Let's go find your mother."

We walked side-by-side for a while before we reached a river. The tracks led into the water, which surprised me. Why would the mother go so far away from its child. I put a foot in the water and walked a couple feet. It wasn't too deep and not too far across. 

I went back to shore and dumped my stuff on the ground next to Bulbasaur. "Stay here."

I went back in and put my head beneath the water. I could see Magikarps swimming about along with some Wishiwashi and Remoraids. The water definitely got deeper to the point where I would sink ten feet.

I got back to shore and wiped my hair out of my face. I could likely swim across, but with Bulbasaur with me? It was risky.

I looked at the Grass type. "What am I willing to risk for you?"

"Bulba." he said, staring at me with big, pleading eyes.

"Ugh," I gave in. "Fine. But we rest here tonight."

...

I threw a twig into the fire, listening to the night sounds. The flutter of Zubat wings, the scuttling of Bug types. I looked at Bulbasaur who rested comfortably in my lap, his eyes closed.

I sighed and looked up at the stars. "I don't know, Ryan. I don't know if I can do this."

"I've been relying on instinct to survive," I continued. "I've just been lucky to haven't keeled over yet in defeat. And I'm afraid my lucks gonna run out sooner rather than later."

I looked down at the Grass type. "Why am I helping this Pokemon? All it'll do is hinder my survival."

I clenched my fists. "I don't even know why I'm trying to survive! What's the purpose!? They were only cave drawings, nothing more! It proves nothing! There might be no point in me being here! No point in you having died!"

Bulbasaur muttered in his sleep, snuggling closer into my chest as I laid my hand on his head. "No."

I gazed back up at the heavens. "I lived so that I may help others. Surviving can't just be about myself."

I gripped my right fist, a tear rolling down my cheek. "When I reunite this Bulbasaur with its mother, show me what I must do! Show me what I must do to survive!" 

Something caught my eye and I turned to look at the river reflecting the starlight. Something was standing above the water. A woman. Her long white hair swept around her, resting on the rippling water. Her white dress sparkled with moonlight, her soft smile and golden eyes taking my breath away. She was beautiful.

She held out a delicate hand, inviting me closer. I scrambled to my feet, knocking Bulbasaur off of me and waking him. 

"Come, Liam." She said and floated backwards, disappearing into the jungle on the opposite bank.

I gathered up my stuff and put the Grass type on my shoulders. "Hold on tight."

Then I waded into the river, the ripples making the stars dance.

My question is, why is he following her!? That's just, no, you don't do that! No matter how pretty the woman is! That's how you die! Jeez, my character is really an idiot. Hold on, should I be talking about my character like that? Is it even legal... Nah, it's fine. Till next time folks. Toodles