Maybe

A few weeks passed.

Everyone took turns visiting Newt, but Tina went every day, and Theseus every second day.

He looked the same each time we went, thought Tina bitterly. Not moving, not breathing, and nothing healed.

But that would change today.

All five of them went this time, heads held high and shoulders back. They walked briskly along the corridors, hearts filled with anxiousness, but more importantly, hope.

Today was the day that Dr Mallord would operate on Newt's leg.

The process would take a long time- seven hours, or so Nick had told them- and they all crossed their fingers that the fabled Dr Mallord would be able to work his magic. He didn't want to use spells, because an injury as severe as Newt's had too many little problems that could go wrong with magic, too many things that could make it worse, if that was possible.

Tina wanted to believe that he'd make it. She would believe that he'd make it. Even if the whole emergency department didn't. So she walked confidently down the corridor, two of her companions either side of her, and prayed that she was right.

"Hello, everyone," a surgeon, around the age of 40 or so with a few wrinkles and greying hair, held out his hand to each of them in turn, not bothering to take off his blue surgical gloves.

Fair enough, thought Tina. He's about to perform a serious operation.

And in any case, they matched his turquoise gown and surgeon's cap.

"I'm Jethro Mallord... nice to meet you," he greeted, then the whisper of a smile on his face faded. "I trust you're his friends?"

Everyone collectively nodded.

"We- we were wondering... would it be possible for us to watch...?" started Leta.

"Oh, oh yes. Of course... there's a viewing room just behind the operating theatre." He spoke with a heavy British accent, but slightly faded, frayed around the corners and milky, as if he'd seen many years. Tina suspected he had. She cast a glance backwards, and indeed, there was a room with one wall as a giant window. Her reflection stared back at her, anxiously shifting its weight from foot to foot.

"You can go in now, if you like. I think we're just about ready." Dr Mallord smiled slightly at her. "I'll try my best."

Tina smiled nervously back.

"Thank you."

She really hoped he would.

There were six chairs in the viewing room. All of them took one, which meant that one chair was left over. Nobody paid it any heed. They were all so nervous, it didn't even feel comfortable speaking to one another.

Queenie let everyone know in advance that she could be squeamish at times, and might have to step out of the room for a couple minutes. When Dr Mallord beckoned to a couple assistants to bring his white wheelie table full of surgery instruments over, Queenie took one look at the pointy silver tools, leapt up from her chair and dashed from the room.

Over the course of seven hours, all of them got up and went outside at least thrice. Queenie fled the room at one point, yelling over her shoulder that she was going to throw up. Occasionally, Dr Mallord would turn around to check if they had left or not, then quickly turn back when he realised they were watching.

Tina couldn't focus on anything but his tools, jumping lightly across Newt's mangled leg. He attached a scary-looking, stiff metal rod to the inside of the bone about halfway through the surgery. That was when Tina walked out. When she came back in, he was adjusting some pins around the silver rod... it looked like Newt had a bone made of metal.

Theseus sat motionless on the far right chair, eyes fixed on the next pin Dr Mallord held in his fingers. She took up her spot in the chair second to left.

For the next two hours, the surgeons focussed on inserting round metal plates over the rod. All Tina could focus on was Newt's arm hanging limply over the side of the operation table. She felt a tear slide down her cheek. She missed him more than she was prepared to admit.

Queenie reached out and brushed the tear away from Tina's cheek.

"It's okay, Teen. Remember why we're here? It's because you saved him. If you hadn't been there, then we wouldn't have any hope. He's going to make it."

Tina nodded, a tiny smile playing on her lips.

He's going to make it.

It were those words that she clung onto like a rock in the middle of the sea for the next two hours, while Dr Mallord finished up with the metal parts and starting sewing... sewing his leg up. Tina felt sick. That was the third time she left the room.

She stayed outside, in her own thoughts, until everyone filed out of the room after her. Dr Mallord emerged from the operation theatre a minute later. His gloves and once-turquoise gown were crusted with blood, and his brown eyes looked permanently squinted. He starting shaking his head, and everyone held their breath. Mallord lifted his eyes to meet all of theirs, Tina's in particular.

"You know..." he sighed, then glanced at two assistants wheeling the white table away. "We thought he wouldn't make it. But I think... I think that he might have a chance. His leg is destroyed, yes, but... maybe a few more months and..." he trailed off upon seeing their expressions, practically glowing back at him. Mallord smiled. "He might survive," he finished.

Tina was the first to speak.

"Thank you, Dr Mallord."

He flashed her a smile before turning around and starting down the corridor after his assistants.

"All in a day's work," he called over his shoulder.

yeeee!!

Another chapter, and I'm on holidays now! That means I can post more often :3

I know this is a short chapter, but does anyone care? Certainly not me

Sorry if you're like Queenie, and you're a little squeamish >~< but I really wanted to write a chapter where Dr Mallord finally operates on Newt's leg. I don't know the first thing about hospitals, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I had to do loads of research and I'm pretty sure Google is judging my search history.

Fact about Dr Mallord:

He's based loosely off a fusion of Gibbs and Ducky from NCIS (except he's not sassy like Gibbs). BUT! I swear I made up his last name. I  just realised it was almost the same as Ducky's after I finished writing this chapter XD lol. IT'S A COINCIDENCE I PROMISE HHK. And I just made up his first name. What? I like the name Jethro!

Here's a meme to keep you going

Yes i made it myself ^

Cateye992, out!