Silk and calico

Life was at the best that it could be. Yes, Newt was perfectly happy with everything just the way it was.

Sure, they still had a prophecy to figure out, and he needed to get completely back on his feet without the aid of crutches, but all that would come in due time. For now, he was content.

The sun rose steadily through a wispy, cloud-draped Autumn morning. It was growing slowly but surely cooler as Winter approached, and Newt could see from the window that most of the trees were a gorgeous, fiery orange colour.

He was grateful he could see anything at all... from his bed, it was difficult to glimpse anything through the glass without craning his neck at an alarming angle. But Newt wasn't in the bed today.

If he was told to stay cooped in there for any longer, he would go insane, so the moment his bleary eyes snapped open, Newt was up.

He wolfed down a brief breakfast, had a quick chat to Pick, then snatched his crutches from where they were leaning against the wall... and that was that. Newt didn't think that he'd touched the bed since.

It was nine o'clock when Theseus dropped by.

At first, it was difficult to tell that it was Theseus. Newt happened to be sitting in Tina's usual chair- right next to the bed- leafing through a book he'd discovered in a cupboard. Pickett was clinging to his forefinger, avidly reading with him. Every so often, Pick clicked madly when Newt turned the page, imploring him to flip back because he hadn't finished reading.

A gentle knocking sound issued from the door and Newt promptly set down his book, leaning backwards to grope his wand from the bedside.

He didn't say anything, but silently pointed his wand at the door handle. It twisted open, and the door gradually, eerily creaked ajar. No one entered. With suspicion sparking inside of him, Newt seized his crutches again and carefully stood up.

"Come on, Pick," he muttered, and his twiglike little friend climbed with agile up to his collar.

The grey door was open a crack, but he could see that there wasn't anyone outside. Did he imagine the knocking? Newt cautiously moved closer and peered through the open sliver of the door, then a flash of movement caught his eye.

"Wha-"

"RAWR!"

Newt's heart leapt several beats. He let out a yelp and stumbled backwards as the devilish monster in the doorway began to advance. He was fighting to keep his balance... he couldn't trip again, no, he'd had enough lethal accidents to last him a lifetime. He'd only just regained control of his balance when he noticed that the monster in the doorway was wearing Theseus' blue tie.

"Hey..." Newt's eyes widened in recognition. "Theo! That's not funny!"

But the devil-faced being was now doubled-over, hands on knees and cackling raucously. Theseus yanked the devil mask off to reveal his red-from-laughing face.

"You... you should have seen... your face!" he panted in between gasps.

Newt attempted an unamused, scolding expression, crossing his arms across his chest to sell the act. Pickett clicked disapprovingly at Theseus from over Newt's shoulder. The elder brother, dutifully ignoring his agitated look, tossed the mask onto one of the cushioned chairs.

"Theseus, I told you not to..." came a third voice from the door. Both brothers' heads shot up as Jacob trotted into the room next, eyes swivelling straight towards Theo.