High tide

Back in the emergency department, Queenie was suddenly aware of a warm sensation near her arm. Looking up, she came face to face with Jacob, who smiled weakly and handed her a cup of coffee.

His was placed on the dingy wooden table next to her, barely brushing her left arm.

Queenie returned the smile and hugged her coffee cup close to her chest, savouring its warmth. "Thanks, honey."

Jacob only nodded and sank into the chair next to hers, clasping his hands together. Queenie resumed her original position, bowing her head.

Jacob watched her, concern across his face. After a moment, he softly asked her, "Queenie, hon, are you okay?"

After a feeble attempt at a smile, she gave up and rested her head on his shoulder. "I don't know, Jacob, I just... I shouldn't have argued with Teen. I didn't mean all those things I said. I was mad, and- and I was scared, for Tina, and worried, for Newt, and..."

She gave a heavy sigh. "Oh, I don't know. What if she hates me now?"

"Queenie, she doesn't hate you, okay?" He paused, and took a long while thinking in silence. Finally, he continued, "She knows you didn't mean it, okay? It's alright. Don't worry."

Queenie looked back to face him, thoughts whizzing through her head.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

She let out a breath she didn't realise she'd been holding and slowly took a sip of her coffee, savouring the bitter liquid sliding down her throat.

Hesitating, she set her cup down and looked back at him. Jacob appeared confused, but his expression melted away to a fond smile.

"Aw, you're sweet," cooed Queenie.

The pair sat together in silence, with only the beeping of the heart rate screen echoing through the room, for a long time- Queenie couldn't tell how long- until Leta briskly walked in. Queenie was about to ask if she was hungry, but then she caught a glimpse of who was trailing in after her.

Jacob and Queenie shot to their feet as Nick Holden strode in, a navy clipboard under one arm. He greeted them with a wide grin.

"Look who I ran into in the hallway," teased Leta, earning her a slightly embarrassed smile from Nick.

"I was just on my way here, actually," he answered, fiddling with his cuff.

"Do you have the..." started Jacob, but Nick swiftly answered him, announcing that he did indeed have a few test results.

"Dr Mallord was meant to be here..." he continued tightly, glancing around the room.

By a stroke of luck, right at that moment, Mallord hurriedly loped in, multiple papers in his left arm and grey hair slightly askew, then stood right behind Nick.

The latter, still oblivious to the man in question standing behind him, was muttering things about Mallord saying that he would be there, and how he had most of the information.

Jacob, Leta and Queenie watched him, smirking.

"Sorry, got a little held up," Mallord said pointedly, causing Nick to jump with fright.

Trying hastily to regain his dignity, Nick turned around and straightened his bow tie. "Ah... well you're here now."

Nick glanced toward Newt for a fleeting moment, then back at Mallord. In a much quieter voice, he said, "His heart rate is 79 bpm." Mallord scribbled something on his clipboard.