Surprise, surprise

Sure enough, the first floppy day crept up, then sprung exactly one week after their first visit to the hospital, on the 8th of October.

Newt had plans for the day. He couldn't sneak into his case again- he'd already gotten Leta and her husband into a fight and he felt awful for it- so instead, Tina had offered to take him back to his own house to visit his other beasts... if he was up for it.

But when Newt woke up that morning and suddenly remembered his plans for that day, he swung his legs over the side of the bed and almost made it halfway to the closet before crying out in pain and sinking back onto the bed.

What Dr Mallord may have forgotten to mention in their first meeting was that floppy days were, in short, 24 hours of hell.

His leg sent spasms like bolts of lightning shooting through his veins, his head was starting to throb, his shoulders tensed and he ached all over.

"Ugh."

Newt let himself flop backwards onto the bed and let out a moan. He wasn't going anywhere today.

Footsteps sounded outside the brothers' bedroom, and a moment later, Jacob stuck his head around the door.

"Alright there?"

Newt lifted his head slightly.

"Yes. Just fine," he squeaked. Newt shuffled himself into a sitting position. He hated how weak he sounded. Hated how weak he felt. Jacob wandered into the room.

"No you're not."

Newt stared at the carpet in distaste. Jacob took a seat next to him.

"It's one of those days, isn't it?"

He didn't respond. He wouldn't believe that this was a normal thing. He wouldn't believe that it could be referred to so casually as 'one of those days'. It hurt too much. It felt too bad. So he didn't respond, choosing instead to stare spitefully at the floor.

"What's doing?" called a third voice from the door. Theseus walked into the room, then paused halfway to the bed, his expression calculating. "Ah," he said simply, understanding. Theseus plopped down on Newt's left, and he noticed dark circles under his eyes... similar to Leta's, now that he'd come to think of it. Theseus quickly averted his gaze.

"It's hurting?"

"That's one way to put it," remarked Newt sourly, trying to ignore the waves of pain washing over his leg. Theseus' mouth twitched to the side.

"No visiting any creatures for you today," he clapped Newt on the shoulder (who tried not to wince) and stood up again, brushing off his suit. Theseus opened the wardrobe and riffled through some coats before pulling out his usual patterned blue tie.

Newt began to object, but Theseus already seemed to have his argument planned out.

"But then again..." he continued pointedly. He hadn't turned around yet, but Newt could almost see the slightly smirk-ish, calculating look on his older brother's face. "... Maybe going through a floppy day has its perks too."

Despite his limp muscles, Newt lifted his head. "Like what?"

Theseus finished adjusting his tie and turned around again, a sly grin playing on his lips. "You don't have to do anything."

Jacob gestured towards Theseus, a matching smile spreading across his face. "Yep- see? There you go!" he encouraged. Newt switched his gaze between the two of them, considering.

"But that's the problem, see... I can't do anything," he said quietly. Theseus and Jacob exchanged glances.

Neither responded for a minute.

《 Skip a Beat 》On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara