Tough love

The four of them spent almost the whole day inside Newt's suitcase. If it wasn't for Leta calling them multiple times for dinner, they probably would've fallen asleep in there.

"It's soup! I love soup," hummed Theseus when he stuck his head out of the suitcase, then reported to everyone else still waiting in the shed. "Queenie's made soup for dinner."

"Queenie's soup is the best," murmured Jacob starting for the ladder. Tina grinned and followed him, balancing both crutches in an arm. Theseus smirked and looked down at Newt, who looked back up with the curious demeanour of a seven-year-old.

"Come on," Theseus said finally.

Half an hour later, everyone had freshened up and was looking forward to Queenie's pumpkin soup, which was simmering gently on the stove while Leta cut one of Jacob's bread loafs into slices.

"Food!" gasped Tina, immediately planting herself in the chair closest to the soup.

The others filed in after her and found their seats; Queenie on Tina's left, Jacob on Queenie's left, Theseus across from him, Leta on his left, and Newt sitting next to her, across from Tina.

Food began spooning itself into everyone's plates, and Queenie grasped it as a chance to strike up conversation.

"How did we do, Newt?"

He looked up.

"I'm sorry?"

Queenie suppressed a giggle. Leta rolled her eyes.

"We were out sh-"

"No you were not, Theseus."

He cringed, but Newt grinned shyly. Leta smirked at the four of them, flushing a soft pink.

"You terrible liar." She turned from Theseus, who silently thanked his lucky stars that Leta hadn't made him sit through a two-hour spiel about the difference between right and wrong and why it was unsafe to let Newt see his creatures again.

Instead, she flipped her attention to the younger brother. "How well did we take care of them?" she asked Newt.

His expression melted into a smile. "They're in great health. Thank you so much."

"Phew," muttered Jacob, tucking into his soup. Everyone shot daggers at him, bar Newt, who watched in bewilderment as Queenie nudged him in the rib.

"Did I miss something?" he asked eventually, tentatively.

Tina chewed on a lip.

"Tell him."

Newt was watching both of them now, curiosity eating away at him. Jacob sighed.

"One of the Graphorns took my sandwich."

There were a few moments of silence, then Theseus tipped back his head and roared with laughter, and Newt chuckled weakly. Jacob stared at them both, then continued.

"I was having some lunch- Queenie makes great sandwiches- and Tina and Leta were with the Graphorns, then one of them- the little one- comes up to me and takes my sandwich! He snatched it, then ran off."

"He didn't eat all of it, Newt. He had half then dropped the rest on the floor," Tina added on. Newt's expression had turned neutral again.

"It's alright. He's doing fine. I don't think the sandwich will be a problem," he said eventually.

"Whenever someone mentions the sandwich incident, Theseus cracks up. It's the funniest thing he's heard in his life," sighed Leta, looking hopelessly at her husband. "Honestly, one would think you've had some more amusing experiences, Theo."