Game plan

Tina had never seen the British Ministry of Magic in person- only ever heard about it.

It took a moment to adjust to the entire atmosphere of the area; it appeared that they were standing at the end of a long hall, with gilded fireplaces running down either end.

As she hovered by Theseus' side, walking briskly to catch up with his pace, she studied the characters materialising in the fireplaces on the left-hand side of the room- some bored ministry workers ambling in for another mind-numbing day of work, some stone-faced, handsomely-dressed wizards striding briskly towards the lifts (Tina suspected they were the higher-class ones that Newt had multiple disagreements with)... a few of them appeared to be aurors involved in the mission, judging by the small bags and wands they carried.

Tina felt a happy fluttering sensation in her gut when the occasional American auror stepped out of the fireplace, most of which she recognised from work. One or two sent a friendly wave or smile her way, and Tina found the knot in her stomach begin to loosen.

On her right, Theseus was striding, head held high and full of purpose, towards the end of the hallway, which opened up to an enormous, dome-shaped room peppered with news stand and elevators.

Tina barely managed to duck her head in time as two owls swooped over her, clutching letters in their talons.

One of them turned off to the side and flew into another, smaller, room. The other continued straight on, almost skimming the top of a magnificent golden statue Tina hadn't noticed before, then continued upwards, flying past higher floors, until it was no more than a speck, disappearing into a second room near the top of the ministry.

Suddenly feeling in a much better mood, Tina felt a smile creep over her face.

Theseus glanced to his left, then chuckled at her awe-filled expression.

As they approached the gold statue, Tina realised that it wasn't a statue at all, but a fountain. Indeed, she now recognised the gentle hissing of water in the basin.

"Over here," directed Theseus, gesturing towards one of the lifts.

Slightly downcast at having to leave the wonderful atrium, Tina filed in after him and watched as he thought for a second, then pushed the button for the second level.

"You might want to hold on," he murmured. Tina acquiesced, holding on tautly to one of the railings above her.

With a jolt, the elevator began moving- first backwards, retreating into the walls, then down. It descended for a few seconds, then shuddered again before squeaking to a stop.

"Department of Magical Transportation," announced a cool, female voice.

Tina made to step out, but Theseus held her back.

"We're getting out at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement," he clarified.

Slightly embarrassed, Tin shrank back as a stout goblin waddled into the lift, balancing a tottering stack of papers it its arms.

The stack swayed alarmingly as the lift descended further.After a few seconds, they abruptly stopped, and Tina almost face-planted on the side of the lift. The doors slid open again.

"Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures," announced the female voice. She held back this time, sticking by Theseus' side.

"Newt used to work here," he murmured to her. Tina felt her smile return. Only Newt would be able to find a career relevant to beasts in a ministry full of workaholics.

As she watched, a tall, weedy man wearing a grey overcoat stumbled into the lift carrying a black suitcase. The doors closed shut again.

Tina congratulated herself on remembering to hold on to the railing as they all jolted forwards again.