Chain reaction

The second Bunty closed the door behind her, Theseus quickly excused himself and stalked up to Leta's room.

The door was locked- she clearly didn't want anyone to come in.

Not bothering to cast an unlocking charm, Theseus knocked firmly on the door. No answer.

Footsteps sounded behind him, and he wheeled around to come face to face with Tina. She shifted uncomfortably on her feet and mumbled something about needing to get something from her room. Slightly embarrassed, Theseus stepped backwards.

Tina slowly shuffled inside and hesitated before clicking the door shut behind her.

Theseus stared blankly at the door, mixed feelings swirling in his gut.

Muffled voices echoed from the inside. Uncertainty grew inside him like a balloon. After a full minute, Theseus sighed quietly and leaned against the wall.

Another five minutes passed. The voices grew quieter, Theseus felt like they knew he was still outside. He tried not to make much noise, and waited outside the door not moving a muscle.

Eventually, it flew open and Leta stalked out, purposefully ignoring him.

"Leta."

She strode past him, heading down the corridor. Theseus immediately followed her.

"Leta, wait-"

She took no notice. Theseus felt his heart dropping like a stone with every step he had to take to catch up with her.

"Leta-"

"What?"

He stopped cold, surprised she had answered him. Leta whipped around and glared at him, fire dancing in her eyes and arms crossed. Theseus opened his mouth, then closed it again. For some reason he couldn't decipher, everything he had bubbling inside him, all of his feelings, everything he wanted to say had just... disappeared.

Theseus stared blankly at his wife.

"I- uh..."

Leta arched an eyebrow.

"Why are you acting like this?" blurted out Theseus. He didn't realise it until it left his lips, but it was exactly what he'd been meaning to say all along. He didn't correct himself, or add anything else, choosing instead to stand his ground and watch her respond.

Leta braced her hands on her hips.

"Why am I acting like this? Why am I acting like this? Maybe I should try going behind your back and lying and then asking you what's wrong!"

Theseus scowled.

"You're not still mad at me about that, are you?"

"Yes I am, Theseus. That wasn't something little you did. Newt could've hurt himself even more!"

"We were all there, Leta, nothing would've happened!"

"You don't know that! Pure luck got you all out of that suitcase safely!"

The door down the corridor opened again, and Tina poked her head out, then, trying to appear as if she couldn't hear their argument, nonchalantly walked out and into the living room. Leta cringed, but hid it well.

"Can we talk somewhere else?" she snapped, irritated. Theseus frowned.

"Fine. My room is free," he muttered, letting her in, then quietly closing the door.

"Our room." Theseus dutifully ignored her indignant remark.

"It wasn't pure luck that got us out safely, Leta! We were careful!" he said quickly, before she could jump in with a new argument.