Chapter 5

One Week Later...

Ami sat on the couch, typing up the dinner plans for the following week when Rachel burst through the apartment door. Ami jumped, clutching her laptop to prevent it from falling, "Oh my pancakes, Rachel, what is it with you and bursting through doors!?" Rachel scoffed, rolling her eyes, "It's not like I'm committing a crime, you don't have to be so sensitive."

Ami snorted at her sarcasm, pulling the laptop back up to continue typing. Rachel slammed the screen down, turning the laptop off. Ami looked up and glared at her room mate, "Well excuse me but I was trying to plan out what we're going to eat over the week so I can go get groceries."

Rachel placed her hand over Ami's mouth, trying to get her to stop talking but Ami proceeded to scream into her hand, resorting to licking it. Rachel drew back her hand in disgust, wiping it on her jeans. Ami stood up, narrowing her eyes at her, "Okay, something is up. What's wrong with you?"

Rachel grinned ear to ear, "So you're finally going to listen to me?" Ami sat down on the couch, crossing her arms, "I dunno, maybe if you stop acting all weird. You're scaring the shit out of me, girl!" Rachel giggled, dancing around in a circle.

Ami stared at her, "Okay I'm seriously starting to regret this." Rachel shushed her, sitting down next to her and grabbing her hands, "You're probably going to absolutely hate me for this, but I've already told them yes so you can't say no. I promise you, even though you're giving me a look of pure doubt— do not give me that face! I promise you that this will most definitely change your life."

Ami stared at Rachel, fear imminent in her eyes, "Oh, God, Rachel what did you do? Did you kill someone? Do I have to cover up your murder for you?? Who did you kill? Why did you have to tell me? I don't want to go to jail! You're my best friend but I cannot go to jail for you." Rachel rolled her eyes, snorting in disbelief, "No, I didn't murder someone."

Ami sighed, wiping sweat from her forehead, "Thank goodness." Rachel smiled weakly and looked at Ami, slightly scared about the confession that was about to come next, "Promise me you won't freak out...?" Ami laughed, "You didn't kill someone so how bad could it possibly be—" "You got the role of Katherine." Ami squinted at Rachel, "Pardon?"

Rachel took a deep shaking breath, "I sent in your audition from the CD and they want you to be Katherine in the touring production of Newsies." Ami let go of Rachel's hand, placing her fingers on her temple as she processed the situation. She stood up, Rachel watching silently as she began to pace. "Rachel, do you realise how much trauma theatre has put me through? I can't do this—" "Ami, it's not theatre who put you through trauma. It's him. He was manipulative and made you blame it on theatre. He wanted to make you give up your passion so he could be more possessive of you! The entire reason you're like this is his fault and he just used musical theatre to knock some of the blame off his shoulders. And you know what? He's not going to be there! You don't have to worry about dealing with him. I see the longing in your eyes each time we pass by all the broadway musical advertisements. Just give it a shot. Listen to some musicals, perform, make friends. They're giving you a one month contract that can be renewed at the end of said month after I told them your situation. Disney was very considerate about it and you can't just turn down such a generous offer! If you're miserable and absolutely despise it by the end of the month, you don't have to renew your contract. If not for yourself, do it for me. Please, Ami?"

Ami sighed, tears pooling up in her eyes. She looked around the apartment then back at Rachel, her voice coming out no more than a whisper, "Okay. I'll do it. Just know I'm really going to miss you."

Rachel smiled, "I'm going to miss you too... I promise you'll thrive with all those theatre nerd boys," she let out a laugh, Ami eventually laughing with her. Rachel smiled, "Plus! I got in contact with Mr. Josh Cute Boy and he just so happens to be playing two characters who happen to be around your character quite a bit." Ami scoffed, "Stop playing matchmaker, you Cupid wannabe. And how'd you get his number?! Were you on my phone??"

Rachel laughed, pushing her room mate and ignoring the last little comment, "You'll learn to love him eventually! He already gives you those lovey doves goo goo eyes you know he liiiiikes you!" Ami stuck her tongue out, "Ewwww romance is gross. Cooties."

Secretly though, Ami felt a little happy knowing she'd have a friend travelling with her along the way. Maybe she won't be as miserable as she thought. Rachel looked back down at her phone, "It's getting late, we should probably head to bed. We got an early morning ahead of us." Ami bid her room mate a good night and pulled out her phone after closing her bedroom door.

She texted Josh, having gotten his phone number from the constant visits to the bakery of his. At this point even her coworker, who had returned from vacation, thought they would be a cute couple.

Ami Heya, Josh?

Josh Hey, Ami, what's up?

Ami You're in the touring cast of Newsies, yeah?

Josh Sure am, what about it?

Ami Well, you see, Rachel (my room mate) sort of went behind my back and sent in my old audition video from a couple months ago and they ended up liking it so much that now I'm also in the touring cast?

Josh AHHHH OH MY GOSH WAIT REALLY?

Ami Why would I ever lie to you lolol yeah I got casted in as Katherine

Josh AMI

Ami josh

Josh AMI

Ami josh

Josh IM SO PROUD OF YOU ILL SEND YOU ALL THE INFO FOR REHEARSALS ASSUMING YOU DONT HAVE IT ALREADY AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ami jeez calm down, my man

Josh AHHHHHHHHHHH

Ami laughed quietly at the messages before plugging her phone in, changing into some sweatpants and an old t shirt and falling onto her bed. Eventually she fell asleep, the fact she was getting back into theatre still lingering in her mind.

🌘     🌒