(26)

Kira's POV

Fuck.

'Kira, take Jasper down to the safe room while I alert the rest of the pack. I don't give a shit if this turns out to be a false alarm. I want all children and elders in the bunker along with all woman and men who aren't with the warriors,' Beau growled through the mind link. His damn wolf was out.

Immediately, I bowed my head and felt my wolf react. 'Yes, Alpha.'

I felt a tingling sensation and that's when I knew Beau was out of my head. Not a moment after, I was up darting through the hallways following Jasper's sharp scent of peppermint.

I rounded the corner to my brothers office and was instantly hit with the strong scent of arousal, cum and sweat.

Oh my god, my brother and my future brother-in-law were getting it on!

My nose scrunched up in distaste. Never ever want to re-experience this again.

I raised my hand and knocked on the dark oak only to have it open just before I made contact. A frazzled looking Jasper stood at the door with a hulking Beau behind him.

Both were disheveled and Beau had an oddly suspicious stain on his shirt.

"Keep him safe for me, little sister. I love you both." With a nod, he started to strip of his shirt as he ran to the nearest exit. As soon as the door banged open, the sound of bones braking and fabric tearing could be heard.

"Will he be alright?" Jasper asked with tears of fear in his eyes.

"This is a normal procedure. Nothing to be worried about-" I hope.

His POV

He was here. His pretty scent that beckoned to me like a sirens call.

I skimmed through the forest with my followers close on my trail.

The peppermint grew closer.

Mine.

Beau's POV

My breathing was even, ears perked up to detect any sound in the relatively silent woods. I could still hear my pack members fighting rogues behind me but it seemed distant compared to the darkness and stillness of the trees before me. My body thrummed with energy, crouching patiently and ready to pounce as soon as the rouge moved. I knew he was waiting for me to do the same but I was determined to win this cat and mouse game.

Knowing I would need to concentrate on this fight I hesitantly blocked out all other voices and sounds in my head. I wanted to hold Jasper but it was important that I keep my focus on the enemy at the moment. I hated to admit it but these rogues were good fighters and I couldn't take me focus off him for one minute. Unease filled my body as my mind block went up, my wolf frowning at the realization that something could have happened to Jasper while I was duelling it out with and I wouldn't know about it. I forced myself to relax, knowing as soon as I was finished with the invaders, I would run to Jasper's side and never leave him. Right now, though, I needed to concentrate on killing the wolf that organized all of this.

There.

Just to my left I caught the barely discernible movement of a wolf. As soon as I registered the movement, my eyes began to take note of the position of the wolf and how far away it was. Crouching close to the forest floor fifteen feet in front of me, The wolf waited with his back to me. I knew he was searching the scene before him for any sign of me and I also knew he had no idea I was behind him. I probably wouldn't have detected him had he not took the chance of crouching lower. Keeping my eyes carefully trained on him, I quickly calculated it would take me only a few seconds to reach him as he was so close but as soon as I started to move he would hear me. Deciding to take the risky chance, I shifted my weight to my back feet and prepared myself to leap.

Just as I jumped his ears twitched and he turned.

He was too late, however, and my outstretched paws met its mark. He snarled furiously as I landed on him, two identical gashes running along each side of his snout from my sharpened nails. We both erupted into growls as we rolled on the floor, trying to gain the upper hand. I let out a huff of air as he knocked his head roughly against my rib cage, teeth snapping dangerously close to my pelt. I lifted up a front paw and took a swipe at his exposed back leg and grinned in victory when he stepped back and growled in pain. His pain only seemed to give him fuel because in the next moment he was rushing towards me, eyes dancing wildly and jaw snapping feverishly.

I was slammed into the ground and managed to turn my body just before his teeth clamped around my neck. Instead, they gripped my back and he shook his head wildly to enhance the pain. Snarling loudly, I bucked him off and jumped on him before he could regain himself. Placing a large paw on the side of his face, I stamped my feet along his body and made sure to put my full weight behind each step. He struggled to get out from beneath my trampling feet and let out rabid howls as I continued to pound my paws into his body. Dancing back, I watched triumphantly as He jumped to his feet and shook himself off, eyes glaring at me with hatred. Keeping his chest low to the ground, he lowered his muzzle so that his rear end was slightly higher than his front. Keeping this position, he stalked back and forth in front of me. Soon enough, we were dancing in a circle.

A dance between a hunter and his prey.

Of course, we both thought we were the hunter and the other was the prey. I watched through narrowed eyes as he continued we continued to circle, noting the almost contemplative expression on his face. I saw it a split second before he broke from the harmony of the dance and jumped at me. His face changed from considering to menacing. He'd decided he was tired of the game and wanted to end it.

I let him tackle me to the floor, knowing my slightly bigger size would give me a better position to force him off me. I was right and immediately kicked him off me. Without wasting a second, I clawed my way onto his snarling form and started biting wherever I could reach. His stomach, his paws, his back. We rolled around on the forest floor once more, a heap of snarling throats and flashing teeth. My sides ached from where his claws dug in but I still refused to let up. Not until he was lying dead on the floor. We rolled once again, this time knocking into a nearby tree and landing with him on top of me.

I saw my opportunity.

Since he'd been on top he was knocked against the tree harder than I was. I saw his eyes lose momentary focus as his head slammed into the tree trunk. His moment gave me the golden opportunity to reach up and tear into his jugular. I didn't hesitate. Pushing up slightly with my front paws, I jumped forward and clamped my canines on his throat. Never taking my teeth from his jugular, I shook my head wildly back and forth and felt rather than heard His guttural whimpers. Tightening my bite, I leaned forward slightly and then jumped back, tearing my mouth away from him without ever releasing.

He fell to the ground, dead.

I quickly shook my shaggy head and snorted, rubbing my paw over my snout to get his blood out of my mouth. In true wolf fashion, I circled my dead prey and flicked my gaze around the forest floor carefully to make sure no other wolf was going to try and take my bounty from me. Snorting again, I pawed the floor in agitation.

My body still thrummed with energy but now I could sense my unease coming back. My head seemed full, like there was a large amount of pressure coming from somewhere. I could feel the insistent push from the pack link indicating someone, or many people, were trying to get into contact with me causing the pressure in my head. I shook my head just as a loud howl rang from where the makeshift battlefield was. I stiffened and raised my head.

This was the howl of a Beta calling to his Alpha.

'Are you all right, Beau? The boarders are secured and all the rogues have been disposed of. The link was completely blocked! Jasper's been asking for you and no one could reach you and then he started breathing heard and now he's in a state on comatose!'

'Dammit! Take him to my room. The leader is six miles from the west boarder. He's been... Terminated. I'll be there in a moment.'