(31)

Third Person POV

Red and blue lights flashed before the rundown house causing anxiety to spike in Lena's core.

They were onto her; she just knew it.

"Greg! Getcha ass out here!"

"Fuck you, Lena!"

She continued to watched from the dark living room from behind the curtain as the lights shut off and two armed deputies stepped out through the doors and made there way up the lot.

"Dammit," she hissed under her breath as she leapt - at least what her body could do as far as leaping was concerned - to the table to sweep little lines of white cocaine into the bag. She then proceeded to stuff it into the couch just as a knock sounded on the front door.

"Mrs. Moore! We know you're in there. Would you please open up?"

She waddled to the door before carefully opening it. In what she would consider a seductive, deep gaze, but looked rather revolting to onlookers, she greeted the officers.

"Good evening officers. What seemed to be the..." She cast a look up and down the officers forms. "problem?"

They gagged down looks of pure revolt. "Hello Mrs. Moore. We are here with regards to your missing nephew. May we come in?"

Lena's whole aura changed. "No. Not unless you have a court order."

"Well then. It's a convenance that we do posses one."

The officer raised a court document.

"Well, I know my rights. I demand my lawyer look this before I allow you into my home."

The officers smirked. They knew she had something to do with the disappearance of Jasper Moore and she was simply digging herself a hole with her lack of cooperation. Although they had been prepared for her and they had called her lawyer minutes before arriving so he was currently on his way.

In fact, as Officer Brooks was going over his inner dialogue, a rusty red wagon pulled up only to spew out a man covered in crumbs from the Big Mac he was currently consuming.

"Y'all knows it's a Friday night?!" He griped as he ripped the paper out of the officers hands.

They both bit their lips at the obvious disrespect they were receiving but it was to be expected from the likes of these two.

The man scanned it before signalling her to let the two officers pass. She did, reluctantly though.

'Hopefully they don't find nothin'.'

***

Deputy Brooks and Deputy Falkov stared at the room that was supposed to be Jasper's. It was clean; too clean.

In cases with missing children, the family of the child tends to preserve or memorialize the room. Nothing changed from the way it was when the child was last in. In fact, most people close of the room due to memories or simply the reminders of the missing.

But that was not the case. The room looked like it had been completely redone. No teenage boy would live in this room. There were no nude or semi nude pictures of girls (or guys for that matter). No posters of cars or sports, no childhood memories, no laptop or phone. The closets had been cleaned out and the flooring still had streaks in it from a vacuum.

The room was eerie. Like the walls had seen something terrible go down... And the deputies couldn't shake the horrible feeling that had come over them.

"Raj," Officer Brooks said solemnly. "They know something. It's like they cleaned out the room. It's-it's like they... They know he's not coming back."

"I know, Morgan. I have the feeling too. But, it's all circumstantial evidence. The only thing we can do now is nail this mother fuckers."

***

The duo spent three hours combing the room itself for evidence. It wasn't until then that they found the hatch. It was a small crevice in the wall under the baseboards. In it they found a diary.

The diary of Jasper Moore.

They quickly skipped the pages to the last entry.

September 14

She hit me again today. It didn't hurt too bad but I currently have a headache.

I just finished my homework for Math's. You know that test I had in English? I got a 97%. At this rate, I'll be able to get out of here after high school...

The dreams are getting worse and worse. The last time I slept a complete eight hours was two weeks ago and I've been cutting more... Almost went too deep this time... Not that anyone would care. No one would notice I was gone until Lena would need breakfast the next morning.

Maybe I should have gone too deep... Then I wouldn't be tied to this place...

As awful as it is, this is a gold mine of evidence. Written proof that Lena was abusive. It gives her a motive and a history of violence with Jasper. If they could simply find the body and get a cause of death, they would be guaranteed a conviction.

The officers were tied. Evidence, body, cause of death motive and guaranteed conviction or evidence, no body, uncertain conviction and hope that he was still alive...

What was the way to go?

Even though he's not here, this book creates an image of a boy who lost his parents only to move into an neglectful home with an aunt and uncle that were abusive. It creates an image of a brilliant teen who could have gone places if he didn't have his life ripped away from him at such a young age.

The jury would be in tears.