Chapter 22

Naruto's POV:

What... just happened? Did that seriously just happen? I was left hanging there from the bridge; I couldn't do anything... (Y/N) just slipped out of my hand and disappeared out of sight as she fell into the valley. And I couldn't stop it... I couldn't stop her! WHY DID SHE DO THAT?!?!

"AAAAAAAAAH!!!!"

"Naruto?! Are you there?" I look up towards the cliff where we were and see Kakashi. He's here... now... "YOU'RE LATE!!! YOU'RE TOO LATE!!! WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?!" I scream at him, not caring at this point what happens to me or anything anymore. "Where's (Y/N), Naruto? Where's the enemy?" Those questions are not necessary! "She's gone!! You were too late! Who cares about the enemy right now?!" I can see the look of confusion on his face, but I don't really have the sanity to explain what happened calmly at the moment. "Hold on Naruto, I'll get you up!"

When Kakashi returns, he sends down another rope so he can pull me up. He probably had it packed or found it around the area. All I wanted was to get out of here! "Ok, you're fine now. What happened?" I'm not able to control my anger as the fact that he was just a few minutes late before she... I slap his hand away when he reaches out for my shoulder. "You were late. She's gone. I couldn't do anything. You took too long... WHY DIDN'T YOU GET HERE A FEW MINUTES EARLIER?!?" Kakashi was taken back by my outburst. "What do you mean she's gone? Where's (Y/N)?" As I'm sitting on my knees and my hands between them, I clutch the dirt on the ground. I was not ready to say it out loud. I felt that if I do say it... it will mean she will never come back. I don't want that!

"She... she fell." That is what I mustered to say. However, it didn't seem to help Kakashi understand, and knowing how close he was with her, and how he reacted when he found out about her secret mission and being in danger... how am I suppose to tell him that she survived the mission, but I couldn't save her here... "Where did she fall Naruto? Do you know the way?"

Now I know what (Y/N) felt when she was saving Jiraiya. She means a lot to Kakashi, and I couldn't save her... I couldn't protect her for him like she protected Jiraiya for me. The difference in this situation is the fact that she meant a lot to me too!! Why the hell did she have to go and say something like that in that situation?!? I didn't want to hear it like this!! I want to say it back! COME BACK SO I CAN SAY IT BACK TO YOU!!!

"Naruto!!!" Kakashi shakes me out of my thoughts. When I look at him, my vision turns blurry, what's happening? "Why are you crying? You're worrying me Naruto! Where's (Y/N)?!" So that's why it's blurry... the tears are ruining my vision. I point towards the valley to answer Kakashi's question. He leaves my side and runs to the edge, looking down. "Don't tell me..." it's at these time where I wished Kakashi was slow... "she fell there... I told her to hold on, she wouldn't listen!! she made her hand slip! I held on to her, but she kept pulling!! The rope was coming undone and she didn't want to drag both of us down... she wouldn't listen..." I face the ground again, not being able to face Kakashi as I tell him what happened to his childhood friend, or more like a baby sister! "I'm sorry Kakashi-Sensei..."

I couldn't see the look on Kakashi's face, but I also didn't want to see it. It's not the best thing to see the disappointed look on your teacher's face, the look that screams you failed me. After a few minutes of silence, I feel a hand on my shoulder. "You tried your best Naruto. It wasn't your fault." Why is he saying all that? Why is he comforting me? "Aren't you going to yell at me? I let a comrade... I let (Y/N)..." I can't seem to say that one word! I don't want to connect that word to her!! "You didn't let her Naruto, it was her decision, to protect you instead of herself. You didn't fail anyone. Let's go back to the village and report back." How is he so calm about all this?! Isn't he angry?! Didn't he care about her?!

We walked back to the village in complete silence. Kakashi looked at my shoulder, it was silently, just barely dislocated from the pull of gravity and my hold on both the rope and (Y/N). He told me to have Sakura heal it, but I thought of keeping it like that. The pain will remind me of my failure of protecting the one person I held dear to my heart. The one person I finally loved from every inch of my body! AND I COULDN'T TELL HER!!