Chapter 17

Things were getting better, Jungkook supposed. The past week went by, surprisingly, in the blink of an eye. It was the end of the semester and exams had just passed and he felt pretty confident in himself this time around. Perhaps it was due to the study sessions Yoongi insisted they do. It was fun and allowed them some time to just sit quietly together; bask in each other's presence. The wedding was in a little over three weeks, meaning they had some time to kill. Jungkook wasn't particularly thrilled about sitting through the ceremony, but he'd do it for Yoongi.

"Kook!"

Ah, right. Taehyung frowned as he waved a hand in front of the redhead's face, eyebrows furrowed. Jungkook blinked a few times in surprise before giving the other a confused look.

"Were you even listening?"

"Uh. Depends."

"You ass."

Jungkook feigned offence. "Hey! Language! And I'll have you know that my ass is very sexy."

"Right," Taehyung snorted. "Anyways, you're coming with me to mine and Jiminie's apartment."

The younger stopped. "What? Why? Wait, you didn't even ask."

"I know. I don't need to because you're going to whether you want to or not. We can study together."

"Study? Exams just passed. Besides, college doesn't start back up for another month. Why do you wanna study?"

Taehyung pouted and whined, "please just come over. I wanna hang out with my best friend."

Honestly, Jungkook didn't think he could say no even if he wanted to.

"Alright, fine."

"Yay~!"

The walk to the shared apartment was fairly short, Taehyung oddly silent as they reached the building. As they entered the apartment, Jungkook noticed a certain pair of shoes missing from their spot by the door.

"Hey, uh, where's Jimin-hyung? i thought he'd be here, too," Jungkook asked, letting out a nervous chuckle.

Taehyung hummed, pulling off his shoes then making his way to the main room. "He's out."

The elder sat on the couch, eyeing Jungkook curiously from his position. The redhead felt as though he was being scrutinized. He shuffled over to the couch and sat on the opposite side of Taehyung. Tension hung thick and heavy in the air. It was the first time he'd ever felt uncomfortable being in his friends' apartment.

"So, umm," he began, clearing his throat in hopes of breaking the uncomfortable atmosphere.

"Kook," Taehyung began, staring long and hard at the younger. "You love Yoongi, right?"

"What? What kind of question is that?" Jungkook snapped, anger instantly bubbling up inside of him. "What makes you think I don't love him?"

Taehyung frowned. "That's not what I meant."

"Then what did you mean, Tae?"

The elder was silent a moment, biting his bottom lip in thought. He didn't expect Jungkook to get so defensive so soon. Yoongi was definitely the trigger. Perhaps he'd need to try a different approach.

"Well, I was just asking because, to be honest," he paused, licking his lips nervously. "He's not that good a person."

"Excuse me?"

"I don't know, Kook. It's just... Isn't weird that right after Yeongseo, his boyfriend, was murdered, he started going out with you?"

"I don't know what the fuck that has to do with anything. Are you trying to say he has no feelings or something?"