24: A quick meeting

It had been about a week since (Y/n) had fully healed, yet Cletus still acted as if it were only yesterday. He was pretty much superglued to her side, constantly asking if she needed anything or if she was sore at all.

It had been cute the first couple of days, but now he was bordering on annoying. She enjoyed being cared for of course, but she also enjoyed Cletus not acting like some helicopter parent that worried over every little thing.

Thanks to the incident, she could hardly go into a different room without him trailing behind her like a bodyguard. He even stayed up later than her, fearful of what might happen during his sleep. She just needed a break from his overwhelming protection, and honestly so did he.

“Cletus, it's one night. I'm not even going out alone!” She pointed out, putting her jacket on. She had a plan to go out with her girl friend so they could catch up. With all that has happened, it's been awhile since they last spoke.

Cletus watched her, obvious worry in his gaze. “A bar at night? You seriously expect me to be calm about that? Just last week you were kidnapped! What if something like that happens again?” He asked, moving closer to her. He gently took her hand into his own. “New York really isn't the best place at night.”

“I'm a lawyer. I know it's not a nice place. But I'll be with my friend. You stay here and get some rest,” She told him, giving him a quick kiss on the lips before moving away. “I'll be okay,” She assured him one last time.

He sighed but nodded. “Fine. Just you know… If you get into trouble, call for me and I'll come running,” He told her, watching her slip on her shoes.

“I know. I love you, and I'll be back in a few hours,” She said, opening the front door.

He replied with a quick “I love you too,” Before she left.

She was meeting (F/n) at a bar not too far from here. According to her, there was so so much she missed. Hah, she had no idea what (Y/n) had gotten herself into… And she had no intentions of letting her know who she was with either…

She hadn't the slightest idea of how her friend would react to something as absurd as her dating a mass murderer. It certainly wouldn't be a pretty conversation…

Walking down the street, she let herself smile at the positives. She finally was able to see her friend again, and hopefully have some actual fun doing it. (F/n) had her ways of making anything an adventure.

As she entered the bar, she was quickly greeted by her friend rushing over. “(Y/n)! You're looking good!” She said with a smile. She gestured back towards a table. “Come, I've already gotten us some drinks!”

“Thanks, (F/n). So you were oh so excited to talk to me. What's going on?” She asked, sitting down at the booth. She eyed the drink in front of her for a moment. She noted not to drink too much, but a little buzz might feel good.

“Before that... You gotta tell me where you've been!” (F/n) told her, taking a sip of her own drink. “You seriously dropped off the map for like a month! What happened?”

“Uhhh, I moved to a new place since…” She trailed off unsure of how to explain what had happened to her old apartment. Luckily she didn't have to give much of an explanation.

“Right! I saw that on the news!” (F/n) recalled, eyes wide. “I'm glad you weren't still in there when it went off,” She added, taking a long sip of her drink. She narrowed her eyes. “But that doesn't cover for all this time…”

“I have a difficult job, works been extra busy recently,” The lie came out smoothly, as were most lies she told. Practice makes perfect, even when it came to this kind of thing…