15

Later that day. Regina ended up leaving after she asked her question before I could speak. I went to the station and checked that they got all 31 girls. I'm not driving to Lola's house. She was watching Freddie while I was gone. I haven't seen him all month. He's use to me being away a lot but I hate it and I know he does. I arrived at Lola's house. I didn't even wait. I got out the car and went straight to the door. I knocked and stood eagerly.

"Hello" Lola says answering the door.

"Hey. Where's Freddie" I asked quickly since I'm desperate to see him.

"Freddie" Lola shouts into the house.

I smiled at her and she returned the gesture. I looked back in the house and saw him come running towards the door. I bent down and hugged the five year old blonde boy.

"Mummy! I missed you loads" he says as I held my son close.

"I missed you too my baby. Awe I love you so much" I say not wanting to let him go.

"Are we going home now" he asked softly.

"Yes sweetie" I replied as we pulled out of the tight hug.

He was so short even for his age and had little blonde hair like me. He looked so much like me thank god. I kissed his head softly and picked him up. Lola had gone into the house at some point and was now walking back towards us with Fred's stuff.

"Here you go" Lola says holding it towards me.

"Thanks. Ow and thanks obviously for watching him at your place" I say as I took the bag from here.

"It's fine. We had fun didn't we" she says as she smiled at my son.

"Yes but I missed Mummy" he replied as he rests his head on my shoulder.

I smiled and waved at Lola before stepping out the house. Lola stepped out and kissed me softly. She waved back at me so I knew I was able to leave. I walked to my car and realised his car seat was still in Lola's house. I put Freddie down and quickly ran over to the girl who was watching us leave.

"Car seat" I say to fix his questioning look.

"Ow yeah" she says laughing. She ran into the house and looked like she went to the lounge. She then came back holding his. "There you go" she says holding it to me.

"Cheers. I'll come see you tomorrow or something" I say as I waved while walking to my car.

"Sounds good" she replied while waving.

I can't take my mind of Regina. I hurt her so much. I have been trying to get my mind if her. I shrug it off as I got to the car where Freddie was. I put his seat in the passenger seat next to me.

"Come on then Freddie. Let's get you home" I say holding my arms out to him.

He jumped up into my arms and I put him in the seat. I clipped him in before standing back up straight.

"Can we get ice cream" he asked just before I close the door.

"Maybe" I replied with a smile.

I closed the door and went around to get into my car. I strapped in and started driving. It's about 3 o'clock so I decided to treat Freddie to some ice cream. It's our thing. He always get the same flavour. I drove down to the ice cream shop where we always go and took Freddie in to get ice cream.

"Hiya. What can I get ya? I know Freddie wants a bubble gum flavour but what does mum want" the Australian woman asked with a smile.

"Hey. I'm going to go with a rocky road this time please" I say returning the smile gesture to her.

She gave us the ice creams in the cone and we left. As we walked out I looked across the street. It was the coffee shop Regina kept taking us to. I've never seen it before she took me there some how. My mind went to her again but my thoughts were taken when my son started talking.

"Mummy does that man over there have a gun" he asked pointing down the road on the other side of the street.

I looked up confused and saw a man with a rifle gun. He appeared drunk or unstable. I put my hand on my gun just in case I needed to act fast. He then started shooting around at random things and people. I dropped my ice cream and grabbed Freddie. I shielded him with my body and hid behind the car so we wouldn't get shot.

"Stay down ok" I say sternly to my son.

He nods worried. I took my gun out and stood up. I looked at the man and he looked at me. He points the gun at me and gets ready to shoot. I quickly fired the gun and shot him in the arm he had the gun in. As I released the bullet he shot. I dive to the floor to dodge the bullet. Fred then started giggling. I looked up confused what he was laughing at.

"Mummy you landed in our ice creams" he chuckled.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled a little knowing he doesn't realise what just happened. I stood up and saw the man against the wall on the floor in pain. I called the sheriff quickly.

"Hello" he answered.

"It's Emma swan. Some guy just started shooting at people. I shot him in the shoulder" I say quickly over the phone.

"On my way. Where you"

"Outside the ice cream place on high street"

"Got it" he then hung up.

I looked down at Freddie who just looked confused. I opened the door and put him back in the car.

"I'll be back in a second ok" I say softly to my son.

"Ok Mummy" he replied with a slight nod.

I walked over to the guy that was led on the floor in pain. I took my belt off and done it up around the wound. I moved the gun further away from him with my foot so he couldn't if he tried.

"You were here to shoot me weren't you" I asked looking down at him.

"Emma swan? Yeah" he replied as he moved uncomfortably.

"Thought so. Who sent you" I asked with a sigh as I put my hands on my hips.

"Chris. He said this was his only chance to take you down. Don't tell him I failed" he says quickly begging me.

Chris was the guy I sent to prison before the gang. He has been there for a few months and never tried anything until now.

"I won't but it won't matter. Luckily you didn't kill anyone but your going to prison"

"Yeah I know. It's fine you can leave me. I'm not able to go anywhere. I just saw you have a son and I'm really sorry. You know you have a risky job with a son"

"What do you mean" I asked a little confused.

"Well your an undercover detective like she said and I was sent to kill you. If I had shot a second sooner I would have hit you and you could have died. Your at risk of dying nearly all the time. You might want to be careful with a son" he says softly to me while looking up at me the whole time.

Sirens then became the sound that filled my ears. The sheriff arrived and went straight over to him. I just thought about what he said. I realised what my job has done. I know April was one of the biggest criminals in this country but her and Regina were so close. My job ripped them apart and I didn't tell her but I know April is being sent to a prison the other side of the country in Washington. My son could have gotten shot today because of my job. I nearly got shot and left my child parentless. I'd never wish that on anyone.

"Mummy are you ok" he asked as I got into my car.

"Yes sweetie. Remember how I told you mummy's job is very dangerous. Well that man wanted to hurt me because of it. I promise you'll be ok though. I know your scared. Don't worry I love you and will protect you" I say as I hugged my son and kept him close to me.