Chapter 66 - What did you do exactly?

Emma's POV

Everything that happened after Noah said those words was a blur, like it was happening in slow motion.

The color drained from my face the moment he told me he was with my father and he had to help me sit down on my bed, because I'm sure the look on my face was like I was about to pass out at any minute.

Of all the reasons he could have given me to been gone, this was the last I was expecting. Really, he could have told me that he decided to go to China to learn Feng shui that it would have a better chance of me believing than this.

My mind is working a mile per hour wondering how the hell is possible that he was with my father for the past three weeks. Were they in Boston? Or in my hometown? Or were they somewhere else conspiring against me?

That's why the first thing I did when I was back to my senses, was to call my dad. No, what I actually did was to make him call my dad.

If it's true that they spent all this time together, he wouldn't hesitate to answer Noah's call, right?

Noah was against it at first and insisted that we should talk before doing anything, but I think he realised he didn't have a choice, so he finally gave in and I was left feeling nervous while he dialed my dad's number.

Well, I was right. My dad answered right after the first ring and I froze when I heard his voice.

Let's just say that I forced Noah into putting it on speaker, so he - or they - wouldn't lie to me.

How come when I called these past days he didn't answer, but when Noah calls, he answers straight away?

''Noah. Is everything ok?''

No greeting, no 'hello, why are you calling me if we don't talk to each other?' or whatsoever. The way he sounds is that way you talk to someone you have just spoken to, because well, that is probably what happened.

''So, it is true!''

I don't let Noah say anything, as I grab the phone from his hand and sort of yell on the speaker.

''Emma?''

''Yes, Emma, your daughter. The one you've been going behind the back with Noah. Sound familiar?''

I honestly don't know why he's surprised, he should have seen it coming. If all of this is true, he should have known that Noah would tell me and that I'd call him.

Ok, so maybe he wasn't expecting me to call from Noah's phone, but well, desperate times require desperate measures, right?

What am I even saying?

As fast as he seemed surprised, his tone changed back to his normal one and he now seems to have it under control.

''We're not going behind your back, Ems.'' His calm voice boosts my anger even more.

How can he be so ok with this, whatever this is?

''Really? Then can you please tell me what the hell is going on? Is it true that you two spent the last three weeks together while been totally MIA?''

Thinking about it now, my dad did ignore my calls during this whole time and I felt annoyed, but the possibility of these two working together or whatever they were doing, never crossed my mind. I just thought he was busy.

It seems crazy just to think about it, but I guess there's nothing normal in my life nowadays, so I really shouldn't be that surprised.

Noah is about to say something, but he stops himself when I give him a pointed look, because I don't want my dad to know he's on speaker and give him any messages that will help them with the lies.