25.

The music fills my ears and I feel the bass inside my chest. The music is too loud, but right in the middle of the dance floor, it's not like we're going to talk. Maddie is shaking her hips and dancing close to Adam, and I feel a lump forming in my throat by looking at them. Why is it that they have been together since their teens and I can't find the right guy?

"I have to pee," I yell to Maddie motioning that I'm leaving the dance floor. She nods and pushes her butt against Adam. I'm sickened by the two of them. They're too happy and too sweet to look at, but only because they are a reminder of what I don't have. Letting Jared go seemed to break him, and I feel like shit for doing so. I no longer sleep much during the night, and I feel terrible for breaking his heart. It's sad that I no longer know how to sleep alone. I used to be fine being by myself, but now being alone reminds me of everything that I don't have. Washing my hands I take a look in the mirror. The girl staring back doesn't look happy. As a matter of fact I look exhausted. I grab my lipstick form my purse and apply another layer in an attempt to move focus from my tired eyes, but I'm not sure I'm succeeding.

I head back to the dance floor when I meet a familiar face. For fuck's sake! I'm not in the mood for him. "Leah, is it?" Hugh asks grabbing my right arm, and I pull away from him not wanting his touch. I had totally forgotten about him, and here he is rubbing salt in my wound.

"What do you want?" I say staring at him in annoyance. Why is he here? And then it hits me. He's Adam's friend, I should have thought about that before I told Maddie it was okay to bring Adam along tonight. Why is it that they are even going out together?

"You look like someone who could use some cheering up? Want a drink?"

"No, thanks," I say crossing my arms.

"We can dance," he tries. Why is it that he wastes his time with me? Can't he just pick the next girl in the room. Horny prick.

"Not interested," I say and turn around heading for the stairs. Someone catches up to me and grabs my arm.

"You know you could give him a chance," Maddie says, and I role my eyes. Not a chance. He's too desperate, and clearly only wants me for sex.

"Not happening. I'm not looking for a one-night-stand."

"You know it wouldn't hurt for you to get laid. When was the last time you got something?"

I want to scream in her face that I had sex earlier this week, but I don't say anything to her. I didn't end things with Jared until yesterday, and I thought going out tonight would be a good distraction. Clearly I was wrong. "Leah?" I hear my name being spoken as I get back downstairs. My eyes look up and I meet with a pair of familiar eyes.

Sam.

What is tonight? Seems like my past constantly have a way of getting to me. It's as it's trying to tell me that there's no way for me to move on. Should I be moving to Melbourne?

"OMG, it is you," she says with a bright smile on her face and gives me a cuddle. Her embrace feels uncomfortable, and I only just pad her back slightly with one hand finding the situation awkward. Why is she so happy to see me? She pulls back and flashes me a smile. She seems unaffected when I don't smile back and sticks her hand out to Maddie.

"Hi, I'm Sam."

"Maddie," Maddie says sending me a confused glare. I haven't told her about Sam, and I'm not sure I've told her about Harry either.

"Who are you?" Maddie wonders.

"Harry's sister," she says looking at Maddie and then over at me. Maddie keeps looking at her in confusion. "Can we talk?" Sam asks grabbing my arm. I'm hesitant. "Please."