6

Joe

3 days later...

Joe woke up to the door opening, and the curtains being opened. "Go away, AJ. It's too early for this shit" said Joe. "Now, Nuufolau Joel Seanoa, that is no way to talk to your mother," said Joe's mom, Portia. Joe barely opened his eyes, but he saw his mom standing in front of him.

He sat up fully, "What are you doing here, Ma," asked Joe. "Well, I talked to AJ. He informed me that you were drinking a lot and actually you punched him in the mouth. I wanted to find out more after you wouldn't answer" said Portia. "So I called Nia, she thankfully answered my call, and she informed me that she had actually left you. After you blew up on her, but she had to leave before I got any more information" continued Portia.

"Now, I want to give you the chance to explain why did run a good woman and your best friend out of your life using alcohol," said Portia. "He's dying, that bastard finally made it to his death bed. He has been calling me nonstop asking to see me. After everything, he's done to me. The scars are here as proof, I was a kid. I can't ever forget the screams from when you'd take the hits for me" said Joe.

"So that's it. Nuufolau, your dad was a dick. He was a bad person, but you can't let his actions ruin your life" said Portia. "I've tried for so long to push it away but when they called it brought it all back, and I couldn't deal with it. I restored to drinking, it was my way to numb all my feelings and emotions" said Joe. "Drinking is not the answer, son. You saw what we went through due to his drinking. What made you think that was a good thing" said Portia.

"It was my way to get out of expressing my feelings. I wasn't an angry drunk like he was," said Joe. "Yes, Nia said that you being drunk you actually paid attention to her and it seemed like you cared," said Portia. "Mom, did she tell you where she went. I need her in my life" said Joe. "She did, but I said I wouldn't tell you until you were sober and yourself again," said Portia. "What does that mean. Go back to being myself" asked Joe.

"I don't have a single clue, but you will know when you get there," said Portia. "Mom, I just want to reset everything. I want my girlfriend back, I want my best friend back" said Joe. "Then do what you have to do, it's going to be hard work. But Nia is a good woman and AJ has been there for you for almost 10 years. You got to fight for what you want in life, then fight even harder to keep it" said Portia. "Where do I start, ma," asked Joe. "Son, you start by releasing that anger against your father, then you get professional help. I don't care how long it takes but I will be here with you. You are my son" said Portia.

"I have to go see him don't I," said Joe. Portia nodded, "We can go together, but first you gotta shower, you smell terrible," said Portia. Joe laughs at his mom as she began cleaning his mess.

3 Hours Later...

Joe signed his name on the visit paperwork. He was led to a room, where he saw his father. "S-s-on" muttered his dad. "I'm here to close the door on this pain that I have been holding on to for years," said Joe. "I'm sorry, I know I was wrong-" said his Dad weakly.

"You were more than wrong. You were a drunk that beat my mother daily, she couldn't leave because she needed to care for her kids. There were nights, you would come home and beat me over complete bullshit" said Joe. "You are dying, yet your last request was to see me why," said Joe.

"I wanted to apologize for everything," said his dad. "Kind of too late for that. I let myself almost stoop down to your level. I started drinking so much that I neglected my life. Because of your bullshit, I lost my best friend of the last 10 years, fuck, I lost the love of my life. I couldn't express my emotions or release this pain" said Joe. "Did you settle down?" asked his Dad. "Not yet, I may have lost her. But I am not mad at you. She left me and that means I have to work hard to get her back" said Joe.

"Son, I will always love you," said his Dad. Joe watched as his dad took his last breath. He talked with the nurse on what to do, and he left.

He was in his truck with his mom. She took his hand in hers. "I'm ready to do this mom. Whatever it takes" said Joe. "Son, then let's do this," said Portia.