𝐢𝐯- 𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐬

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Plop.

Rainy days were Sophie's absolute favorite.

How could anyone not instantly feel hypnotized by the warm fire that crackled and popped, a brightness to it that brought light to the whole room; the raindrops that seemed to race each other down the window.

There was nothing better in her opinion than cuddling up on the couch with a warm, cozy blanket, a cup of hot tea to sip, and a novel that she's read more times than she could count, right next to the fire.

Over the past year, Sophie learned to find joy in the simple things in life, the small memorable moments that make up herself as a whole. In all honesty, it was quite refreshing, everything she'd been doing to improve her mental health. Her battle with depression and anxiety could be best described as a raging war but it had drastically improved over the past year. As of now, she couldn't be any happier.

The peaceful environment she had made for herself abruptly stopped, and she was pulled out of her reverie to the front door to her house being opened and slammed shut.

Sophie froze on the spot. Paralyzed.

It was a Saturday morning, seven o'clock to be exact, and both Grady and Edaline were still upstairs sleeping in. So who the hell was at her Havenfield this early in the morning?

Her instincts took over and she stealthily raced to the kitchen. She swiped the nearest object, a knife.

She rushed back as quickly and quietly as possible. Sophie positioned herself at the corner of the entranceway to the kitchen. It gave her the advantage of being able to defend herself from the intruder by attacking first but had the disadvantage of not seeing said person until they're fully exposed.

The faint pattering of feet against the hardwood floor could be heard as Sophie braced herself. Her heart was pounding so hard she was surprised it hadn't burst out of her chest.

She tried and failed miserably to steady her breathing, hoping silently that she had enough coordination to do this. Who was she kidding, of course she didn't.

As the intruder rounded the corner, Sophie held her breath and pulled her hand back, and plunged the knife—

Except she was stopped right at the very last second.

Keefe held on to her wrist firmly as he eyed the razor-sharp tip aimed at his chest.

"Is this supposed to be an enemies to lovers thing from your books? Because I hate to break it to you darling we're already past the lovers part. It's just a book trope Soph this seems a bit extreme."

"YOU IDIOT."

Sophie exhaled, adrenaline still coursing through her.

Keefe let go of her wrist and she set the knife down on the counter.

"I thought you were some serial killer that was gonna murder me or something!" she exclaimed, lightly pushing Keefe's chest.

His response was a slow grin. It was disarming.

He pulled Sophie close and caressed her face, his thumbs drawing gentle circles along her skin.

"Why are you here anyway?" Sophie mumbled against his mouth.

Keefe feigned a hurt expression but didn't pull away as he said, "What, I can't just stop by to see my girlfriend?"

Sophie hummed in response as she played with the hair at the nape of his neck.

It got Keefe every time.

He leaned in to steal a kiss but was stopped by Sophie's pointer finger as she pressed it to his lips.

"Ah uh, I still haven't forgiven you for scaring me like that. You nearly gave me a heart attack."

Keefe tried to bite her finger and she stole it back.

"Oh come on, I'm sorry Foster for being a jump scare, but you got an apology kiss all ready to go and a handsome boyfriend willing to make it happen."

Sophie pulled away and abruptly stated, "We should go outside."

Keefe raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Uh Soph, it's raining outside."

"Just on the porch, we can sit on the little gliding swing and bring some hot chocolate."

A few minutes later, the couple was outside, sitting on the swing and sipping their hot chocolate in silence. Sophie watched as the rain fell, harder and harder. It appeared as if the sky was crying.

A gust of sudden wind sent chills down Sophie's spine, causing her teeth to chatter.

"Foster, you're freezing," Keefe noted as Sophie started to shiver.

"Nah I'm f-f-fine."

"Liar."

Keefe took off his green, faded hoodie, and helped Sophie put it on. She felt like she was swimming in the fabric but appreciated the gesture nonetheless. She instantly relaxed, letting the warmth engulf her.

She adored him.

"Ok fine, you're forgiven," Sophie murmured as she pressed her lips against his. Keefe grinned.

~

    a/n: HEY LOOK AT THAT, I'm alive!
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've just lost inspiration but I pulled through for you loves, also, news on my other story, I'm working on an update so hang in there, and I'm also hosting a cover contest for it on my Instagram so that's why everything is kinda slow. Anyways what did you all think? What kind of one shots would you like to see in the future? xoxo