Chapter 29

Maxine's P.O.V

We all stood there in shock. It was really her mom. She told us she does not come back for people. She said she got left behind. In my mind I thought this was a joke. I thought we could trust her. Now I was starting to put my guard back up. It is really getting hard to trust more and more.

"I am Alpha. We only want one thing from you. My daughter" she said.

I was studying this woman. She was bald and short. She was covered in dirt. She stood where she was with a high stance. She must be the leader. This woman was not backing down. She looked like she would do anything to get what she wanted. I respected her and feared her at the same time.

"Our community is more than capable of defending itself" said Tara.

"I show you my face because we mean you no harm. I just want my daughter. I know you have her" she saId.

I can understand where she is coming from. If I was in her shoes I would do anything to get my daughter back. I don't know if it is a good idea to keep her waiting. I started to walk to get her. Daryl grabbed my arm telling me to stop. I just stood there and looked at him. He needs to stop playing with our peoples lives like this. We don't need another fight.

"You should turn around. Leave now and no one gets hurt" he yelled.

Daryl needs to stop this. I can not go through another fight. If we hand her over her daughter then this all ends. Maybe Lydia sent her here. Maybe she was following us this whole time. We can't take the types of risks anymore.

"Wrong answer" she says.

She raises her hand and a whole lot of walker people start to come out of nowhere. I was starting to freak out. Daryl notice and slipped his hand in mine. I don't know if he was trying to comfort me or stop me from getting Lydia.

Connie ended up going into the weeds. She was really doing good with it. i decided to go talk to Kelly and Tara and see how they feel about the situation. 

"They don't see her. Least not yet" said Kelly.

"The girl told me what her mom does to her. We ain't sending her back to that" said Daryl.

"Yeah but what if she has Alden and Luke? Pissing her off can get them both killed" said Tara.

She was right. We need to get our people back and make sure that she did not do anything to them.

"Did you kill our friends. We founder their horses" asked Magna.

"No. Which one of you leads these people" asked Alpha.

"What the hell does it matter" asked Daryl.

"Then I'll just address all of you. Your people crossed into our land. There will be no conflict. Your people killed our people. There will be mo conflict. I'm done talkin. Bring me my daughter, or there will be conflict" said Alpha.

I look around at all of my friends to see what their facial expressions would tell me. I wanted to go get her. IK wanted this to be over. I have more important things to worry about. I have a family and and an unborn child to worry about.

"No one touches the girl" Daryl said walking away.

He looked at me right when he said that. He knows I would give her up if it means that my family is safe. Daryl walks down there and gets in Alphas face. I follow. I don't know what he is going to do. I need to make sure he does not get himself killed.

"You can't have her. Now, if it's a fight you're looking for, we got enough firepower to light you up. Right here and now" said Daryl.

I look around. There was a baby crying in one of the walker peoples arms. 

"You brought a baby out here" asked Daryl.

"We're animals. Animals live out here. Animals have babies. So we have babies out here. Now what were you saying about lightin us up. You seem to want conflict. I don't. I don't think she does either. By the way she looks and by the way she hold her belly. I think she is pregnant too. I don't think you want her in danger. So I'm proposing a trade" she said.

When she brought up my pregnancy it made Daryl tense up. He knew she was not bluffing. When she pulled those walker skins off Alden and Luke, he knew what had to be done.

"I wanted to kill them, but I want my daughter more. One of mine, two of yours. It's a good trade which is why your gonna take it. Now bring me my daughter" she said.

Daryl and I looked at each other. He nodded to me. I understood and so did he. We needed to give her daughter back to her now.

When we went to go get Lydia she was gone. The door was open and the key was in the lock. I knew who was behind this. Henry took her. He likes her and does not want anything to happen to her. He is a good kid that does not need to be caught up in this mess. Carol would kill us if something happened to her boy. 

Daryl had everyone split up. He sent me back up to the top. I stood next to Tara.

"What happened" she asked.

"Henry took Lydia and ran. They are looking for them now" I said.

She nodded slowly. She knew what this means. They needed to find her daughter. After a minute you could hear a baby crying again. She did not know what to do with the baby. Next thing we know she is putting it down to be walker food. Alden started to freak out. He did not want this baby to become a feast for the dead. 

"To live with the dead means to live in silence. If the mother can't quiet the child then the dead will" said Alpha.

That was a sick thing to do. Leaving babies to be killed by the dead is something that is unforgiving. Thank god for Connie came out of the weeds and grabbed that baby. 

After getting that baby to safety we finally got Lydia out and to her mother. It pains me to see her given back. I know Daryl did not want to do this either. He was the one to walker her down to her mother. I seen Alden ans Luke being brought back. They are one of us. We needed them back. From the gate we seen them do the trade off. One of theirs for two of ours. I guess it is a good trade. Seeing our people happy was good but having Lydia stay and our people happy would have been better. Seeing Alpha reach back and slap Lydia almost made he go down there and do something. Tara seen and grabbed my arm. 

After seeing that I knew we made the wrong decision. This made me notice what is out there. We need to be ready. I know this will not be the last time we will be seeing them. Lydia does not belong to them. We all know that. I just hope we did not just start up another big problem. 

Authors note

Hope you like the chapter. More to come very soon. ;)