late night call | dean x reader

type: fluff
warnings: mild swearing, timeline anachronisms

imagine: dean, an old hunting friend, calls you late at night. you expect that he's in trouble, but it turns out to be something far different

(don't worry it's not smut lmao)

You were so close to falling asleep when your phone began to ring. You let out an angered groan, snapping your hand and grabbing your phone.

You checked the time at the top. 11:56 pm. Your anger was replaced by worry as you checked the caller.

(ICE) Dean Winchester calling...

You really didn't want to put that at his name in your phone, but Sam insisted that it would be better in case anything happened. Cas and Sam's name were the same way. '(ICE) Boring stupid first and last time' as you had told him.

You answered quickly, sitting up in bed. "Y/N L/N speaking, how may I help you?" You snickered. You heard a short huff of breath from the other end of the line. "Dean?"

"Hey, Y/N," He spoke. You could practically hear the smile on his face.

"You all good?" You questioned, tiredly. There was a quick shuffle, replaced by his voice.

"Yep. Just... Checking in?" He said as if he really didn't know why he was calling. You became suspicious quickly. There was another pause. "So, uh, how's it going out there in Michigan?"

"Good," You strained. "Still fighting off the last of the wendigos—and you? How's it going with Sam?" The line went dead silent, and you got nervous. Was this even Dean? "Dean?"

"Hey, heh, yeah uh..." He said with an uncertainty. "I was just kinda getting to that."

You tsked. "Spill the tea," You giggled, crawling out of bed and making your way to your study. Dean made a confused noise over the line, which your respectably snickered at.

"Wha-What? What does that mean?"

"Tea. It's like drama or... Whatever is on your mind. Just kinda rant."

"Oh... Right."

The eldest Winchester continued on, still trying to figure out the slang. He was always a little behind on things like this. Eventually semi understanding, he began again.

"So... Sam," He scoffed. "Yeah, something is definitely up with him. I'm thinking it's something to do with him just suddenly returning from the cage."

You sat down at your table, setting your phone on speaker. You flipped open your laptop, ready to search. "He's just acting weird?"

"No, it's more than that. It's like he's a totally different person. He's just cold, y'know? He's more blunt than Cas, and that's saying something."

"I mean I can check the Lore for effects of being in the cage. Maybe it just damaged him. He's pretty lucky to even be alive you ask me."

"Yeah..."

You typed away at your computer, the gentle keys barely making it over the line. There was a rather awkward silence, and you weren't exactly sure how to fill it. "So... How's the bunker?"

"Same old," He mumbled. You continued typing. "And your apartment?"

"Heh, had to leave that one. I moved a little further out from Ann Arbor. I'm just in an abandoned cabin for now."

His voice appeared once more, quickly this time. You caught the word 'safe' but nothing more. "What was that?" You asked.

"Ah, nothing. Anything yet?"

"It's been like three minutes, Dean."

"Right... Right. Just a bit anxious."

You paused as you came across something that could only be enochian. The PDF already had some red markings of translated words. The top of the paper read "THE CAGE." The rest of the words didn't add up at all. "Hey, I think I found something."

"Yeah?" Dean responded quickly and a bit too eagerly. You snickered.

"I'll need Cas to decode the rest, but the top of this file is decoded as 'The Cage.' Maybe it has something in it," You explained. "I can call up Cas tomorrow, but I'm exhausted, man."

You received a gentle laugh from the line, and you shook your head. You shook your head, standing up and heading towards your bedroom. The sound of a coffee machine running made its way over the line, and you scoffed.

"Dean Winchester, if you are having another damn coffee so you don't have to sleep, then I will drive all the way out to Kansas to stop you," You scolded. "You don't take care of yourself enough. Just get some sleep for once."

"Jeez- okay, mom," Dean stated through the phone, sarcasm behind his stern vocals. "Why do you care so much if I sleep or not?"

You settled down in your bed, the covers melting over your skin. "You just got done fighting the world's biggest problem, Dean. You need sleep. We can deal with Sam in the morning."

"I just want to help him, Y/N," He groaned, the sound of a mattress spring popped through the phone.

"Help yourself first," You mumbled. "You're a hunter, for God's sake. You know what kind of prices come with it."

"Yeah, but-"

"Ah ah ah! Get some rest. I'll call in the morning. You know that I won't hesitate to drive over there."

Dean sighed, and you smiled a bit. His voice softly replied, "Alright, alright. Thanks for the help, Y/N."

"Anytime, D," You snickered. The soft sound of blankets and a pillow rang over the line.

He mumbled a 'goodnight' fairly quietly, but you caught it. You returned the favor, then ended the call.

You sighed a gentle breath of relief. "Oh, that boy is gonna be the death of me."

{shelby}
{934}