Chapter 17

It was a letter from her to me.

I swallowed slightly, feeling rather nervous, before starting to read.

Vicky

Hi... It's me, (Y/n). You know, the girl you pretended to care about for the past like 10 years. Remember me? I just want you to know that I really did care about you, you were the closest friend I'd ever had and I did love you and I did think of you as a sister. Now, did you notice the key words in the last sentence? I DID care about you, I DID love you and I DID think of you as a sister. I honestly don't want anything to do with you anymore. I don't want your pity nor do I want your excuses. If we ever meet again I just want you to know that I don't want anything to do with your so called "friendship". You honestly ruined my life, and I want you to know that I hate you. I'm not even sure if you feel bad for what you did since you were able to do what you did while having a straight fucking face. I hate to look back at what you did because I really can't see how the Vicky I knew and loved could do something so cold. The fact that you could stand there and say that we never were friends is disgusting. And what you did whith Max? Pathetic. I hate you. I really do hate you. Don't even try to apologize because I don't want it, you made it quite clear what you want our relationship to be and I plan on keeping it that way.

My heart sped up more for every word I read. "(Y/n) wrote this?" I looked up from the paper, crumpling it once again before putting it in my back pocket. I stared out the window, feeling my heart speed up even more as I thought about what I'd read.

"Sure, if you plan on keeping it that way, then I won't make it harder for you."

End of Flashback

Your pov

I straightened myself, taking another deep breath before letting out a small chuckle. "Hey, Vicky, did you hear the way they were yelling as we ran?" I smiled once again before looking over at the red head, frowning in concern when I saw her face. She looked scared, a bit hurt and... guilty? "H-Hey, what's wrong?" I kneeled down next to her, putting my hand on her shoulder. "Vicky?" She then flinched, looking at me with wide eyes. Her pupils were bigger than usual. She was scared. "What's wrong?" She then looked around, breathing slightly quicker than usual. "W-Wait, weren't I just in your..." "My what?" She looked at me once again, smiling and shaking her head. "N-Nothing, I just need a glass of water, care to fetch me that since I was nice enough to spare some of my time to go after you?"

I sighed, standing up before walking into the kitchen, grabbing a glass and filling it with water. "You're still going to answer my question by the way!" I heard shuffling from the hallway. Vicky was probably getting comfortable in the sofa instead of sitting on the floor. "What question?" I sighed, turning the water off. The glass was rather slippery as I walked into the living room, I'd probably spilled some water onto the glass. But I managed to hold onto it and give it to Vicky without having it slipping out of my grip. "I asked you why you hate me so much and why you did... That." The red head just took a sip of water while avoiding eye contact. She was behaving strangely when I asked her those questions.

"I just did, I don't know what you want me to say?" I sighed, taking a seat at the other end of the sofa before turning the TV on. "Did you feel that way the whole time? Like, did you hate me when we first met?" My gaze was fixated on the screen, I didn't like looking at her while asking these questions, she confused me with her body language. "No, I didn't hate you then." I sighed, she wasn't making any sense.

"But you said that we were never friends."

"-N-No, we weren't."

"But you said that you didn't hate me."

"I didn't"

"But why... What do you mean?"

"I..."

I turned towards her, catching her off guard. "You know, I really did think of you as a friend before you did that, and I think you did too. I just want you to tell me why you did what you did so that I can understand you." She opened and closed her mouth to say something but I started to talk again. "Alright then. Look into my eyes and say that you never, not even once, though of me as a friend." She quickly looked away, swallowing. "I... You know..." She quickly stood up, putting one of her hands on her forehead. "God damn it (Y/n), stop it. You're confusing me." I stood up as well, raising my eyebrows. "I'm making you confused? Vicky, you were the one who literally turned everyone against her best friend in less than 24 hours without even telling her why. Do you know how that made me feel?" She shook her head, looking down. "You never listened to me, you ran away before I was able to tell you what really happened." I nodded my head, smiling as I crossed my arms. "Yeah, go on then, tell me the excuse you've been cooking up for the past three months."

"Oh god, you ask me why I did it and yet you behave like that once I'm actually about to tell you?" Vicky facepalmed slightly with her free hand, sighing. "Not only that, it's like you don't even want to listen to what I have to say when it comes to that thing, you never wanted to. And besides, why should I tell you when you've already made up your mind, I'm a horrible human being, am I not?" I backed away from her slightly, widening my eyes. She just stepped closer, smiling as her eyes began to tear up. "Do you know how it felt to have you just move away like that? It hurt. I get it, I fucked up, but I didn't even get the chance to make it right." She took another step towards me, causing me to take another step back. "I'm not a monster (Y/n), I swear, I'm not." She put the glass down, taking a seat in the sofa before covering her face with her hands.

"You remember when we were in sixth grade and we both swore to never leave each other's side?" She was now crying, I have no clue what's happening. Is she sincere? No, I cannot doubt her any longer. I'm over that. She's really feeling guilty... I know I shouldn't be feeling sympathetic towards her... She hurt me, real bad. But she was hurting too, and I couldn't bear to see this. She was my best friend once, and even though she did those things I still loved her three months ago.

Even though she left my side I should've stuck by hers. I should've been stronger. I should've kept my promise.

I took a seat next to her, looking at my feet as I parted my lips to say something.

"I'm sorry Vic."