7

"It was so great! I like him a lot!" I gushed in reply to Margaret's question about my date with Michael, "he's not very extroverted, but you know what they say about opposites attract..."

She gave me a wide smile, excited and happy for me. Jason, on the other hand, scowled, "you barely know the guy."

"That's what dating is for," I told him, "besides, I consider myself a pretty good reader of people."

"You really aren't, Cam..." Robin offered me a sympathetic smile, and I simply shook my head in disagreement.

"What's going on?"

I looked up to see Oliver giving all of us a nod as greeting before seating himself down with his lunch beside me.

"I was just telling everybody about my date with Michael. He's wonderful," I nudged him in a friendly way, shooting him a light and truly joyous grin after.

Oliver's brows raised and he cast a look over at Jason, who shook his head and then looked down at his food.

"What's wrong?" I asked the two, now wanting to know what exactly had happened between them and Michael. With how the three had acted at the movie theatre, there had to be something important.

Robin and Margaret seemed as confused as I was, all of us now eyeing Jason and Oliver, who were trying to communicate without saying a word.

Suddenly Oliver jumped, and I realised Jason had kicked him underneath the table. Oliver looked away with a sigh, and it seemed as if Jason was urging him on with his eyes.

"Nothing," he muttered quietly, jaw clenching as he avoided everyone's eyes on him.

"You dumb fuck," Jason hissed quietly, not meaning for us to hear his insult but we did. He then turned to me. I felt very uncomfortable, never having seen the relaxed and funny guy this tense or frustrated.

"Has he told you what he does for a job?" Jason's expectant eyes moved to me, tone almost taunting, and I frowned.

"No-" just as I had begun with a shake of my head, Oliver cut me off and instructed Jason firmly.

"Later."

Jason seemed to think it over for a second, before sighing in defeat and then nodding.

"What?" I pushed further, needing to get an answer. Both just shook their heads.

--

As hard as I had tried to pry out an answer from the two at lunch, it seemed to lead to nothing.

I was left with confusing thoughts, knowing it was something serious since all three guys seemed very frustrated about each other.

To: Michael: Hey! What are you doing tonight?x

I texted him as Margaret and I waited at the back of history class for the teacher. He replied a few minutes after I'd sent the text.

From: Michael: busy tonight.

To: Michael: Oh, well I was just thinking we could have a second date soon. I really liked the first one x

From: Michael: sure. friday?

To: Michael: Friday won't work, it's my birthday and I'm having a party... What about Saturday? x

I wondered if I should invite him as well, but doubted his answer would be positive. It would be a great way to introduce him to my friends and also get to spend time with him, but still hesitated. Before I could overthink the invite further, he did it for himself.

From: Michael: your birthday? am I invited?

To: Michael: Of course!

From: Michael: see you there, doll x

I planned to text him my address later, and then placed my phone down to turn to Margaret, who was busy taking selfies with her lips pursed and brows raised.

"Guess what," I beckoned, catching her attention from the filters she was trying on Snapchat.

"What?" As an only child Margaret was the closest person I had to a sister. She knew me through and through, having experienced every walk of life together thus far.

"Michael's coming to my party!" I whispered excitedly, from the corner of my eye watching the teacher arrive.

Her brows raised and her smile widened, "really? That's exciting."

"Right?" I gently nudged her and flipped my hair over my shoulder.

"I'm just curious to meet him, there's been a lot of talk..." she then shrugged, and I calmed down.

"Why do you think Jason and Oli have something against him?" I wondered, both slowly turning to face the front of the class.

She shook her head, "no clue. My guess is it's because Jason's head over heels for you and he's jealous. Oli's maybe backing him up? I don't know..."

I decided it had to be that. But then again, it didn't explain Michael's distaste for the two, in particular toward Jason.