54

Michael

"I'm sorry," I breathed out and let my body lay on top of hers after I came inside her.

She didn't say anything or try to push me away, so I took my time listening to her rapid heartbeat and uneven breaths after her orgasm.

When she suddenly sniffled quietly my whole body tensed with panic.

I slowly lifted myself up to be able to find her stunning blue eyes with mine, but found them directed over at one of the windows in her room and purposefully away from me. A tear slid down her cheek and it was obvious she was holding a lot of emotions back right now.

"Camille..." I began carefully, honestly not knowing what to say. I felt like complete shit and deserving of every single punch and blow I'd get today.

"You came here just for sex," she whispered brokenly, still not meeting my eyes. I had no idea what to do, so I just sat up between her legs and stared down at her.

"Came here to make sure you're okay," I told her honestly, clearing my throat awkwardly right after.

"I'm not okay," she told me angrily, taking me aback completely when she sent me a glare, "is that what you want to hear?"

"No, it's not—"

"It sure seems to be," she cut me off, a sob rising from her throat and slipping past her glossy lips, "am I not worth your time or trust otherwise?"

I began growing absolutely scared shitless. The last time she had sounded like this had been when we'd broken up. The sex had been consensual, despite how it'd started, and I had known from the start it had been a bad idea.

I grunted out something incoherent, knowing she was slipping away with each passing second and getting more emotional.

"The more you know the more in danger you are," I admitted, "I don't want you getting hurt."

A sad laugh left her lips as she sat up and tugged her knees up to cover her chest in front of me, "you hurt me enough, what difference would it make?"

"I don't fucking hurt you," my brows furrowed, voice straining at her words hitting painfully.

"You do, Michael," she sighed and shook her head at me pitifully, "you still say such rude things to me, despite promising you'd stop when we got back together."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, "I need to take care of a few things. We'll talk this shit through after."

"Of course," she replied sarcastically, "go. Leave. I'll see you around."

"The fuck's that supposed to mean?" I sat down in front of her and waited for her to look back at me. I reached my hand over to wipe a few tears off her cheeks but pulled it back when she flinched.

"Nothing. Just go," she muttered, eyes focusing back on the window and a frown pulling the sides of her lips down.

"Not leaving if you're upset," I told her, "I'm sorry, Camille."

"God forbid I'm upset and you'll have to have sex with me again in order to make me forget all about it!" She sent me another glare, "do you even know what you're sorry about?"

"I-" I began, staring at her with a completely blank mind, "fuck."

"That's what I thought," she breathed out shakily and her angry expression faded away, only to be replaced with an even more vulnerable and sad one. Another sob left her lips and she was quick to wipe away the tears slipping down her cheeks.

"I'll tell you everything when it's over, Camille," I assured her, not lying. It was the only way to make sure she was safe.

"What's over?" She pleaded for me to tell her, voice so frail and upset it hurt, "why won't you let me help you?"

"I need to protect you from all that shit," I tried to make her see this for the nth time from my perspective, "I don't want you near any of it."

"And who's going to protect you?" Her tear filled eyes made me crumble completely, losing every bit of stress and frustration concerning Rob and the rest.

"I—"

"You can't say that you have it all under control. You clearly don't, otherwise you wouldn't be acting like this," she sniffled and focused on the space between us, hitting the damn nail on the head, "let me help you have this over and done with before we try to fix us."

"What the fuck is there to fix?" I grew very defensive very fast, not meaning to sound as frustrated as I did. She only closed her eyes and shook her head at me.

"I'll tell you everything after you tell me how I can help you," she countered, basically quoting what I'd been saying to her and rubbing it in my face.

"Quit that," I grumbled, wanting to know how she felt, "tell me now."

Camille's silence made me want to yell at her with impatience, but I forced myself to stay as calm as I could as I waited for her reply.

I knew the longer I stayed here and didn't go meet Rob, the more shit I'd be in.

"We don't talk. You don't talk," she began way too calmly, "we were going to leave the city for a year without telling me the full reason behind it. You think you love me, but this really is toxic—"

"Don't fucking say shit like that," I mirrored the glare she had had before, "you know I love you."

"I don't."

I ran my hands over my face and resisted the urge to either punch a wall or rip my hair out of my head.

"I want to come meet Rob with you," she told me gently and I began shaking my head, knowing what it would lead to.

"Please, Michael," she added quietly, her tone saying much more.

"Fuck, fine," I muttered in displeasure, "don't say I didn't warn you."