33

"Michael, I brought sushi!" I called right as I entered his apartment with a code, "we can finish watching the Notebook now!"

As soon as the door had closed behind me, the stench of cigarette smoke made me feel woozy. Immediately I felt confused as he never smoked inside. I heard laughter from the living area of his apartment.

As I placed the sushi and my purse onto a table by the entrance to slip my coat off, Michael emerged from the living room, from where I now could hear the faint chatter of several men.

"Hey," he cleared his throat, brows furrowed as he took me in with confusion, "what're you doing here?"

My smile faded and was replaced with a frown, my coat now held in my hands, "you forgot."

Realisation hit him, "fuck."

"Michael..." I sighed, not understanding how he could have forgot that we had planned to spend tonight together just two days ago.

"M'having a poker night with friends," he explained in a low mutter, nearing me as to keep whoever was in here from hearing.

"With friends?" My mood lifted, "maybe I could join?"

He chuckled and shook his head, now standing close enough for one of his hands to rest against my waist, "not happening."

"Alright, well," I began, "do you want me to go? I can just leave the sushi for you and your friends, it's no big deal, there's quite a lot, anyway... we could FaceTime once they've left?"

His dark eyes studied me for a moment that seemed to stretch on forever. Just as I was mentally preparing myself for him to agree with me, he shook his head.

"No, stay," he cleared his throat and an immediate smile tugged up the sides of my lips, despite the deep breath leaving his lips, "I'll wrap shit up. Give us 30 minutes."

"I don't want to rush—"

"Wait in my room," he cut me off, glancing behind him as if ready to head back.

"In your room? Honey, it would be so impolite of me not to come say hi!" I giggled and shook my head at him, before cupping his jaw and leaning up to gently kiss him, "I'll just edit a few photos for Instagram while you play your poker."

He was quiet again, not seeming too pleased with what I had set my mind on. I brushed my thumb lightly over his cheekbone, hoping to relax him and persuade him.

"Don't want you hanging around people like 'em," Michael finally grunted out, glancing down at the small space between our fronts. My heart melted and I had to kiss him again.

"You're sweet," I told him genuinely, smiling happily, "but I'll still say a quick hi. I'll set the sushi up in the kitchen, if you really want to spend time with just your friends. You won't even know I'm here."

He seemed to think it over before shaking his head at himself and muttering, "I'm so fucking whipped, man."

I giggled and brushed a strand of his hair behind his ear, "I am rather offended that you forgot about tonight, though. You have some making up to do..."

"Yeah?" A naughty grin formed onto his lips, chin tilting up a hint, "what'd you have in mind, sweetness?"

He then leaned down to leave a very suggestive and hot kiss right under my jaw, causing a pleasurable shiver to move down my body while he pulled me closer from my waist.

"You're so crude, that's not what I meant," I gently pushed him back, smiling widely to myself.

"No?" His brows raised a little, dark gaze moving between my eyes carefully, "you look good."