Part Two : Her Reflection

Megharleen Johansson stared at herself in the mirror.
Damn, I look a mess !
Her eyes grew wide at the sight of her reflection. Her dark eyes had bags under them - the result of disturbed, improper sleep. Her pimples - all of them - were red and noticeable. Her pink lips - though full were chapped. Her jet black, shoulder length curls were wild and the wheatish skin dull.
I've to go for dinner tonight like this ?
Attempts to dress herself up for any occasion, always resulted in fresh oddities for Megharleen because of her lack of awareness in regards to fashion and the latest trends. Her tastes were bizarre and considered improper by her family.
It resulted in Megharleen's clothes being the choice of her parents. They never took her with them, unable to stand her boyish, casual likes and always got her clothes which had a feminine touch to all of them. Due to her quiet, tolerating nature, Megharleen never complained and quietly gave in to her parents, in the same manner she did for almost every other issue.
Almost every other issue ...
Almost ...
Like most her age, Megharleen kept secrets. Secrets which most people dismissed as silly, but ... Secrets were secrets ... Regardless of silliness and stupidity ... Her secrets were buried into the depths of her soul and only few had ever known them. A handful of friends were the only ones who had managed to know her to the core.
Most people knew Megharleen because of her soft spoken and understanding nature. It would have earned her many a friend but unfortunately for Megharleen, most people could not accept her even as an acquaintance due to her average appearance. Megharleen was socially awkward and so, the lack of friends proved to be a blessing to her, but it had its own side effect.
The side effect ?
Insecurity ...
Megharleen had fears of not being good enough. She worried day and night about it. It was as if she had nothing else to worry about, which was an utter lie. She was weighed down by her depression and anxiety, along with the insecurities. Despite the full plate, Megharleen carried herself with grace so perfect that she fooled most of the people, except for that particular 'handful'.
Anthony was the latest of the 'handful'.
The sound of a notification grabbed Megharleen's attention and she tore her eyes away from the mirror. Her eyes lit up when she saw the name displayed.
Anthony.
Fingers trembling, she opened the message.
Hey. What plans for today evening ?
She eagerly typed back.
I'm going out for dinner. I'll catch up with you after it.
His reply was immediate.
Done and done, I'm in for a movie, so yeah ... Catch you later.
Her reply was equally quick.
Bye ! Have fun !
Oh well, I guess I should get started, she thought, turning back to the mirror - a challenge she was forced to face.