Trece

Teresa and I linked arms once again. We were right behind Thomas; Minho and Newt behind us. Chuck was in the way back, carrying the thing that came out of the griever. Thomas stopped and looked left and then right. He turned back to us.

"Teresa, get back with Chuck, you to Raigna" he said to us. Teresa unlinked our arms and walked to the back.

"No offence greenie, but I've been up against more grievers than you can count on one hand. No way am I going to miss all the fun. Plus, there's no way you guys' can do this without me" I said, he shrugged his shoulders and looked at each and everyone of us.

"There's a griever to our left. We stay close. We stick together. We get through this. We get out now or we die trying" Thomas said, I raised my eyebrows.

"Hellava speech kid, let's do it" I said, he raised his spear and yelled, we all did the same thing as he ran towards the griever. The griever heard us and screeched running towards us. All we had were knifes and sticks but somehow we managed to pushed the griever over the edge.

"Teresa and Chuck go into the griever hole and punch in the combination" Minho yelled, they ran towards it and got in. I turned to Minho.

"What's the maze code" I screamed trying to fight off the griever that was trying to stab me.

"7 1 6 3 5 4 8 2" Minho yelled, Teresa tapped in the numbers and the walls began to come down, it squished one griever but didn't stop any of the 4 other grievers until one fell off. Then another wall squished two more. The last one began to climb the wall that had just squished the other two.

The last wall closed and it became dark. The circle door opened in front of us and we walked in. There was a door leading to a hallway. Frypan opened it and we walked in it, we took a left and come to another door that said exit.

"Really" Fry said to us, I walked up to the door and we walked in. The sight was horrible. There were bodies all over the place, both soldiers and medical people. I could hear Teresa in the back gasp.

On a computer screen was a lady in white with red lipstick, Thomas hit a button and a video began to play, she began to speak.

"Hello. My name is Doctor Ava Paige. I'm Director of Operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you've successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you... but circumstances seem to have prevented it. I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason. You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire, famine, suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the Flare, a deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent, unpredictable... incurable - or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure, but finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed, inside harsh environments, where their brain activity could be studied, all in an effort to understand what makes them different - what makes you different"

Then she put a gun to her head,

"You may not realize it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. As you'll no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us... for me... but not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember: Wicked is good"

Then she shot herself in the head. I looked away and heard the slightest noise. Turning around Gally was standing there, with a gun pointed right at Thomas.

"We can't leave" he said, I stood by Thomas, Thomas began to move towards him when Minho grabbed him,

"Don't he's been stung" Minho said.

"But we did Gally, we made it" Thomas said, I could feel Minho take the spear in my hand slowly. Gally shook his head,

"I belong to the maze" he said with tears in his eyes "we all do"

Three things happened simultaneously, Gally pulled the trigger, Chuck jumped in front of Thomas and Minho threw my spear, hitting Gally in the chest. Gally dropped the gun and fell to the ground.

"Thomas" Chuck said falling to the ground, the bullet pierced his chest. Teresa and Newt both put their hands to their mouths. I didn't even know what happened I just walked slowly to my brother, lying lifeless on the ground with a spear through his chest. Tears formed in my eyes as I kneeled down to him.

"Thank you" was the last thing I ever heard my brother say before I was pulled away. I struggled against whoever was holding me until I saw Thomas struggling against the soldiers as well, tears in both our eyes. We made eye contact and knew we needed to stick together, because we can't lose each other.

END OF BOOK 1.........