Chapter Five

The blinding, and rude, sun wakes Mark. At least it isnt an alarm ckock blaring, he thinks to himself, squiming to find himself diagonal on his bed. The blankets are wrapped wildly around him, all except his feet which hang off the side of the bed in the gap between his and Jack's.

The memory of him climbing into his own bed fails to return to him as he sits up and looks around with a yawn. The first place his eyes fall is Jack, stripped down to his boxers and tangled in a mess of pillows and blankets. He sends a smile at his half asleep friend.

"Mornin" He greets kindly despite the subtly frustrated look painting Jack's face.

Jack tried to groan the same in response, burying his face into the pillows. Mark furrorws his brow, recognising the situation quite well, both from personal experience and Jack's history with the problem.

"Didnt sleep well?" Mark questions, his smile falling. Jack shakes his head into the pillow.

"Couldnt get comfy." He mutters. Jack often struggles with sleep, its one of the problems he often relays to Mark during their many phone calls. It always seems to bother Mark much more than it does Jack that he rarely ever gets a restful night.

Mark feels his mouth quirk before responding the only way he knows how. "I'm sorry... Anything I can do?"

He isnt sure what he could possibly do to help. Jack once mentioned he sleeps better with someone else, but Mark is sure Jack meant someone female. He surely isnt brave enough to offer being a cuddle buddy. Even though Mark certainly wouldnt mind that arrangement if the offer ever arose. While waiting for a resposne, he cant help but notice Jack's entire body blushes.

"I'm good. I just need coffee." Jack seems to sweep the conversation away as he pulls himself upward and grabs clothing from his bag to slip on.

Fair enough, the response is about what Mark expected in the first place.

Mark blushes as he catches himself examining Jack a bit too closely. He tries to convince himself that his sleep muggy brain is just focusing on the immediate movement. Still, the guilty action forbade him to look back at Jack again. He opts to distract himself with his phone. When he reaches to the nightstand to pull it off the charger, his mood and energy levels sink like a ship.

127 unread messages and 60 missed calls. All from of which fom Brit. He had almost entirely forgotten she even existed.

The two have been dating for close to a year and he grows increasingly short with her. Now he can hardly stand to speak to her. He hesitates to open his phone even. But after a moment, he dismisses her entirely.

Surely he'd live to regret it, but 24 hours be damned right now. He needs more time. He isnt sure how much, but it certainly doesnt end now.

He swallows back a bit of guilt and decides to open up Instagram as distraction the accumulating havoc his brain makes out of thin air. He promises himself he'll deal with it, the weird feelings for Jack and the lack thereof with Brit, just not now.

While scrollig through his collection of unchecked notifations, he notices one alerting him that he'd been tagged in a photo by a friend. Curious, he opens the notification to find a picture of him and Jack.

Upon closer examination, he sees that he'd clocked out hard and made himself comfortable against Jack's side, neck, and shoulder. Jack has a goofy grin on his red face and Mark's mouth hung open in the photo. Mark subconciously wipes the nonexistant drool from his mouth.

Despite being embaressingly unkempt in the picture, Mark finds himself adoring it. He finds it to be a memory he wishes he were awake more for. At least there's documentation of it anyway.