Chapter Sixteen

Mark's attention is pulled away from his book when a a mob of people pass by his booth hooting and hollering excitedly. Placing his book down, he glances around for a recognizable face. Vi is amongst the crowd, but doesnt hear Mark's calls for her attention.

Squirming from the collective forward movement of the crowd, Jack finally manages to escape, now standing in front of Mark's booth.

"Whats going on?" Mark asks through a chuckle, glancing between Jack and the people filing outside dutifully. Jack brushes himself off with a sigh.

"Its raining." He responds with disinterest. While living in Ireland, he saw rain daily. So its a tad weird for him to see people get so excited over it.

"Its raining!?" Mark bellows, standing excitedly from his seat. California is so dry that rain is like a blessing. Jack quirks his lips, wishing he could share in Mark's excitement. Furrowing his brow, Mark rounds his table upon seeing Jack's bored expression.

"Whats wrong?" Mark questions, tilting his head in an attempt to meet Jack's eyes. Jack doesnt want to be a buzz kill on the fun, so he gives Mark a lame shrug.

"Nothin'." He responds, smiling at Mark fakely. Mark doesnt buy it. Glancing between Jack and the door, the peices start to fit.

"Not as excited as everyone else, huh?" Mark questions, shuffling mindlessly toward Jack. Jack quirks his lips again, then shakes his head guiltily. Mark sends a quick look at the doors again. He would love to go out and enjoy the rain, but not without Jack.

"I'll stay in with you." Mark offers with a polite smile as he leans back on his table. Jack sends him a pair of guilty eyes.

"No, dont let me ruin it, go on, go have fun." Jack encourages with a shoulder guesture at the door. He doesnt want Mark to miss out because of him. Mark shrugs, his arms crossed across his chest.

"It wouldnt be any fun without you." Mark states matter of factly, watching Jack's feet shuffle closer with his words. Jack rolls his eyes.

"We both know thats an exaggeration. Vi is out there, I'm sure she can make it fun." He points out. Mark stands stepping a few inches closer to Jack.

"Its not the same." Mark mutters, his eyes pouring sincerity into Jack's baby blues. Jack swallows, forcing himself not to break eye contact.

"You shouldnt miss out on all the fun cause of me." Jack tries to sternly respond, but Mark shakes his head certainly.

"You're more fun than any rain." Mark responds. He's being earnest, but in full honesty he'd love to be outside right now. Jack knows it, not because Mark's words betray themselves. Jack just knows Mark too well.

"Alright..." Jack manages to squeak past his tight throat as he shifts the weight between his feet. "How about I just go out and watch?" He tries to compromise, unsure if it will work. Mark gives him a thoughtful expression before a smile crawls across his features.

"Deal." He chimes, taking Jack by the wrist to drag him to the door. Jack's cheeks warm as he glances around, surely expecting someone to make a big deal of the innocent act.

Stepping outside, they're shielded from the rain by the canopy hanging above the doors. The patch of grass at the side of the hotel is writhing with people dancing, wrestling, and playing in the rain. Vi is amongst them, seemingly entirely unfazed by the chill in the air with her denim shorts and green camo tanktop. Mark sends a look to Jack, as if seeking permission. Jack returns it with a grin.

"Go on, I'll be right here." He promises, nudging Mark's shoulder gently. Mark grins at his friend and steps out from under the canopy.

The rain seems to soak him imediately. Its colder on his skin than he expected, but oh so exhillerating. He closes his eyes, taking the moment to truely feel it soak past his muscles to the bone. Jack watches as Mark steps into the rain, his muscles knotting with the first few icey pellets that connect with skin, but soon after they untwist and relax.