Chapter Six

A few hours into the mind numbing signing and pent up excitement over the gift Jack is hiding so strategiacly (it's hidden under a mass of tee shirts in a box behind Jack's table) the convention rolls into lunch time.

Jack wants to wait till the end of convention to give his gift to Mark, but he cant wait any longer. He's too excited. He paws thtough the box and retrieves the book out of its hiding spot. After briefly examining the cover, he tucks it behind his back and casually strolls up to Mark's booth, looking as innocent as humanly possible.

Mark sits behind his table looking drained. His mind has been weighing on him all day. A mix of the hell he'd have to face with Brit and the confused muddle Jack turns his brain into. He had no clue thinking about all of this would wear him out so much.

When Jack taps on Mark's table, his eyes tug away from the floor and glide up Jack's fingure to his eyes. It was worth hoping that the simple action wouldnt brew more weirdness, but that was wishful thinking. The blue in Jack's eyes locked Mark's in place. So full of happy and normalacy, its hard for Mark not to be a bit jealous.

"You alright?" Jack questions, suddenly concerned for his ill looking friend. His face paled when he met Jack's eyes, and theres a vacancy behind his. Mark nods loosely, pulling his eyes away from Jack, leaving him with doubt. He doesnt seem alright.

"Hungry?" Jack presses, searching for a vocal answer from his friend. It isnt like Mark to just entirely dismiss things like this, so Jack feels worry creep over him.

Mark shrugs a bit in response, causing Jack to shuffle slightly. This is entirely weird behavior, so he has no clue how to remedy the situation... But Jack forces a smile anyway.

"I dont know whats wrong, but I think I have something to help." He tries to intrigue Mark. Here's to hoping the gift is enough. Mark raises an eyebrow in response. Jack tugs the book out from behind his back and hands it to Mark.

Mark instantly recognizes the title and practically bursts. This is the same book he wanted so desperately yesterday!

"How did you get this? She was sold out yesterday when I tried to get a copy!" Mark explodes, the book in his hands as he leaps from his seat. After the convention came to a close yesterday, Mark decided to try and snatch one of the books while the author was still around, but when he reached her booth he found a sign that read: "Sold out! Thank you for your patrionage!" So he returned defeatedly to his own booth.

Jack blushes as he watches Mark squeal excitedly over the book. He'd pulled the author aside earlier today and asked if she had any left, then she explained she had another small box upstairs, and was on her way to retrieve them for the last day she's here. She kindly agreed to grab him a copy, and even signed it.

"Check the title page." Jack smiles widely. He doesnt know if Mark really gives a damn about the author's work, but when Mark flips open the cover he squeaks again.

A gift from me to you, explore the stars, Mark!

"Jack I could kiss you!" He exclaims in his moment of excitement. Jack blushes like mad, but is almost tempted to see if Mark is serious. After all, his curiousity hasnt dimmed since the thought first crossed his mind. Mark finally rips his eyes from the book and meet Jack's.

"Thank you." He says, his eyes pooling gratitude. Jack waves it off dismissively. Had he not grabbed it, Mark would have probably just ordered it online anyway. But Mark seems genuinely touched over the gift.

The way Mark sees it, Jack paid close attention to his interests and got him an extremely thoughtful gift. And that really means a lot to Mark.

The two hold eye contact for a long moment, and Jack cant help but be curious if Mark would hold true too his offer about that kiss. Perhaps he should question it? Maybe jokingly to break the ice and if Mark jumps on board they'll take it from there. Jack opens his mouth, ready to initiate the lame plan.