Chapter 2 Call Her Angie!

[AN: Can we all just thank Jordan for making Annabelle so chipper in the previous chapter? She has already perfectly captured how I want to present the character I created. This is going to be so much fun! Enjoy!

[ANNABELLE’S POV]

My smile fell as Angelica left me in the room with Mrs. Post. The woman's smile made my skin crawl. It's like I was her prey or something. My phone buzzed and I held up a finger excusing myself as I answered.

"Hello?" I answered figuring it was Louis calling me back. He should be here. Who sends their friend and neighbor to adopt a kid for them? Although Lou was probably right about his money ironing out any problems I might have.

"Anna Banana!" Liam's voice cheerfully sang through my phone line. I smiled at his good mood. I was surprised he wasn't still pissed after that news report this morning. "What are you up to?"

"I'm just at--" I broke off as I realized I couldn't tell him. If he found out about Louis' plan he would be in so much trouble. "Um--nothing."

"Are you okay Anna?" He asked. "Normally you can ramble on for hours." I glanced back at Mrs. Post.
"I have to go," I rushed out. "I have--uh--girl things." I ended the call quickly. Girl things? I really suck at lying.

"Is everything okay?" Mrs. Post asked and I whirled around to face her. Was it possible for someone's voice to make you nauseous?

"It's fine. Just a friend calling."

"So what can I do for you?"

"I'd like to adopt a child." She eyed me carefully. "What I mean is I want to adopt a child for my friend."

"This isn't a store. Your friend has to come in and fill out the appropriate paperwork."

"I realize that but my friend is kind of famous, and he doesn’t want to tell anyone he's adopting yet. If he comes here then everything will get out. You understand, right?"

"I don't really--"

"How much money do you need to overlook this?" She smiled or at least I think she did when I asked that question.

"$5000," she said succintly. "Any particular age you are considering?" She stumped me with that question. I suspected Lou wanted a young boy most likely. Someone who would have fun hanging out with the lads. They were more than a little awkward around girls. Although Louis never specified, and if I had to do all this work for him then I was not going to make things easy for him. He wanted to be responsible then he would have to work hard at it. Maybe I should get an infant so he would have to change diapers. I chuckled at the thought. “Miss Annabelle?”

“I’m not sure about age, but he would do wonderful with a little girl to spoil,” I said as a wicked smile crossed my face. “He is very fond of all that princess stuff.” Lou was about to learn a hard lesson about life. “Are there any girls around here who like that sort of thing?”

“Several,” Mrs. Post said smiling even wider as I wrote out a check for the $5,000 that she had requested. I would make sure that Louis wired the money back into my account first thing. I was a fairly successful writer, but that didn’t mean I had the same bank account that any of the lads had. “Why don’t I introduce you to a few of them?” I followed her out of the office to check out the children as they played in the care home. They all smiled at her and waved. One little girl ran up. She was dressed in a pink fairy costume with a tiara.

“Mama Post,” the little girl said smiling endearingly. Seriously? These kids liked this woman? I got an entirely different vibe from her, but maybe I was mistaken? “Angie said I couldn’t have a cookie until after dinner.” The little girl pouted. Waiting until after dinner made sense to me. Mrs. Post leaned down and whispered into the little girls’ ear.