Chapter 9

As the sun rose and lit up the clearing, the sunlight glistened off the frost coated blades of grass that filled the area. It was a beautiful sight that Perseus had seen many times back on his island but there was one distinct difference to it now. Atop his cloak where she had been all night laid Callie, the young blonde who had warm brown eyes that reminded him of his mother sparked curiosity within the godling. Not only was she the first human he properly knew his entire life but she was a strong person, he could tell that within the way that she recovered from what those animals tried to do to her yesterday. He felt no remorse for what he had done and had swiftly disposed of the bodies last night nearby the clearing before returning to keep a watch over the young girl whilst he reached his senses around the forest to get an idea of where he was.

This place she spoke of, Tegea, he believed he could sense it beyond the edge of the forest, he was curious to see how the people of this city lived only having heard stories from a few animals on his island. He hoped there was not more vile people like those he found last night as despite their nature he doubted many would take kindly to what he would do to them.

As he continued to stay in a meditative like state, he felt an animal approach him from the trees and opened his eyes to see a small squirrel that had approached him due to curiosity. The squirrel bowed in front of him hailing him as its lord.

"There is no need for that little one, it is my honour to be considered as a part of nature with all of you. Where are you friends? Family?"

"They are back in a hollow sleeping, I heard stories from other animals that a mighty lord of the wild was wandering the forest and I thought they were kidding around, I had to see for myself."

"Well you've seen me now you better hurry back lest your family be angry with you. And please, don't tell people I am their lord, I don't like the title, consider me a friend of the wild not your master, and my name is Perseus." Perseus said whilst lightly petting the squirrel.

"Thank you for speaking with me friend Perseus sir, it is an honour we are happy to have you as a part of our wild."

Perseus chuckled at the title the squirrel before responding, "run along now, you don't want to be in trouble do you." At that the squirrel turned and bolted off into the trees but not before giving Percy another small bow.

After the squirrel had left Perseus turned back to the fire in the middle of the clearing and looked up at the sky, admiring the near cloudless morning that was indicative of a good day to come.

"Did you just talk to that squirrel?" He heard Callie ask incredulously.

"Ummm... How much did you hear?" Perseus asked whilst blushing at having been caught when he usually so attentive and aware of his surroundings.

"Just you telling a little squirrel to run off to avoid getting in trouble?" Callie asked not wuite believing he'd said that.

Realising she hadn't heard anything that actually gave away his ability to talk to animals he hastily covered himself up, "Oh, um, yeah that was about it" Perseus spoke blushing, "I like animals, nature too, I like to think that they can understand us. Stupid, I know." Perseus was quite proud of his cover.

Callie laughed a bright and merry laugh as she finished sitting up, as she was done sitting up, she was struck with a fragrant and delicious smell that wafted through the air. She turned towards where she thought the smells were coming from and found a duck that had been plucked and was roasting over the fire covered in what looked to be seasoning.

"Did you cook that?" Callie asked in wonder, never had she smelt something so fragrantly delicious even in the palace kitchens and was stunned by the fact that this strange man was also apparently an amazing cook as well.