Chapter 13

Chapter 13:

As life continued in Tegea, as it had in the time Perseus had been there, he found himself being recognised far more often than what used to be, by the few merchants and sailors that he spoke to at the docks. All the attention wasn't something that Perseus desired and as such he had taken to wearing his hood up at most times when he moved around the docks, transporting well over the average man's carry-weight in cargo.

Callie, Cynthia and Arthos had talked about his achievements a lot in the following week but had left it behind, seeing how Perseus was uncomfortable with being famous, as he now was. The unconventional family went on as it had since his arrival, everyone doing their own daily tasks and work, sharing dinner and talking about their daily experiences. Occasionally delving into the past of the two parents, finding out how Arthos had served in Tegea's army when he was a young man and left when he found his talent in forging.

On their days off they would do different things around Tegea, most involved teaching Perseus of all the culture and background of the people there that most would usually know at a very young age, despite initial confusion as to why Perseus didn't know these things, the family had simply accepted it and taken to teaching himself themselves.

Whilst Perseus enjoyed this, what he most enjoyed on his days off was when they travelled in the forest and he would subtly let out some of his power, feeling connected to the nature and feeding life into it, as a result of the various trips he had made, the forests surrounding Tegea where the most populated with wildlife, them having flocked across Arcadia at the tales of their true patron and lord. The forest also grew lusher and more beautiful and Callie was always fascinated with how many fascinating natural areas of beauty they would come across, unaware of Perseus' connection to the occurrences.

At other times he would also venture around the city with Callie, exploring her favourite places and trying some food she raved about, also having once gone to an evening event in a nearby tavern where she was meeting with some of the other palace servants whom Perseus had gotten along well with once they were well aware he wasn't of any high status and they dropped the subject of his fighting in the pankration. Many of Callie's female friends and even a few males had tried to woo him or get him to spend a night with them, but Callie had helped him get out of the situations without too much awkwardness.

Right now, it was early evening and the sun was setting on the horizon forming a beautiful array of vibrant colours ranging from orange to purple, illuminating the streets with an orange glow and Perseus weaved his way through the end of day hustle on the streets. Many people across the city had been fascinated by how amazing the sunsets had been more recently although none were aware of why, not even Perseus knew as it was all he had experienced for his entire life. As the warm light illuminated him and filled the air, Perseus could feel his energy restoring, whilst he had done a full days work, he had little energy to restore given his huge endurance formed on earlier in life, as a result the effects were more of a sense of peace and calm, contentment, rather than a necessary energy refill.

As he entered the apartment that was now more of a home than anything else, he was greeted by a warm, perfectly homely feel that had occupied the house since he arrived that only he could tell was a result of the power emitting from the hearth due to his mothers influence. Smiling, feeling the familiar greeting of his mother as well as the kind-hearted one from his family that was present. Arthos was seated at the table, polishing a shield that he had obviously crafted recently and had taken home to finish off, Callie and Cynthia were bringing the just ready stew that had been cooking over the hearth to place on a cork board on the table, bowls and utensils already laid out. After discarding his cloak on a hook near the door, Perseus helped bring some break from the cupboards over to the table then sat and joined them in a prayer to the gods for blessing upon their meal.