Chapter 14

Chapter 14:

As Perseus entered the palace he was bombarded with the dull noises of the bustling system within, along with strong, rich fragrances of exquisite things from around Greece. As he walked through the halls, Perseus passed many groups of servants shuffling through the palace, taking care of all the little things, like putting more wax in the lantern and touching up any damage. He followed the same path as he had the previous day and soon found himself at the entrance to the throne room with two guards out front again.

It seemed that the guards were informed of his arrival this time as they made way for him, opening the doors upon his arrival. Stepping in he caught sight of King Aleus again as well as seeing the Queen, Anyte and Princess Ariadne up close for the first time. Not all too surprised at their appearance, having had them described to him by Callie beforehand. What did surprise him though was the kindness that seemed to shine from the two, a nature he hadn't met too many people to have possessed in his time in Tegea.

Along with those three was Prince Dorian, sneering towards Perseus as if he were the lowest of scum that had tainted his perfect image. Perseus simply glanced over the prince before returning his gaze to Aleus and giving a respectful nod as he had yesterday, the prince's reddening face and glare portraying his hatred and growing anger. Whilst some people may have feared this Perseus found it almost entertaining as the royal child acted like a toddler having a tantrum with a little more etiquette.

Addressing the king, Perseus spoke up, "Your highness, I have come for your verdict upon my proposal." He stated matter-of-factly.

Aleus stood from his throne which he was sitting on with his family surrounding him, "I have discussed your proposal and upon my daughters own decision, you have been chosen to protect her from any and all harm until you are relieved of your duty."

Perseus looked towards Ariadne and saw her nod, confirming her fathers words and such turned back to the king and responded, "It is an honour your highness, she shall see no harm under my protection, that I swear by the gods themselves."

The royal family were shocked by his statement as to swear an oath by the gods meant death if it weren't to be fulfilled, what they weren't aware of is that Perseus directed his oath towards two goddess, Demeter and Hestia, in order to not draw attention from other gods and neither would wish harm on their nephew and son respectively.

"You shall report to my daughters chambers to stand guard from sunrise every morning and shall leave every night once she has once again retired to her chambers. You are to follow all orders from her unless they contradict orders of my own and are to not take orders from any others, regardless of their status or position. Understood?" Perseus nodded in response.

"Good, my wife will show you around the palace to places that you will need to be aware of and answer any questions that you may have. You are to begin your duty tomorrow morning." Perseus nodded once again in understanding.

Aleus then departed through on of the doorways at the back of the room followed by Dorian, leaving Perseus with the queen and princess. Ariadne approached him, stepping down off the raised platforms on which the thrones stood, coming to a stop a respectful distance away.

"I have heard much about you from Callie. I am eternally grateful for you taking the responsibility of protecting me, if you require anything you need only ask." Ariadne spoke in her graceful and melodious voice.

Perseus bowed slightly whilst answering, "It is an honour Milady, I assure you, you shall be safe in my care." He decided to show more respect towards the princess due to her kindness, believing that she had earnt it rather than demanded it.