Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

Perseus had been doing his usual daily routines as he had the past month or so, over the last week he had been seeing Jason and Antheia almost every day. He had been helping Jason to rebuild his reputation as a merchant and help organise his business, despite Jason knowing what he was doing he had been out of it for a while and regardless of his lack of experience Perseus had found trading to be interesting and had quickly figured it out through his heightened intelligence.

Although he enjoyed helping Jason with his business, he found the thing that he most enjoyed in his trips there was seeing Antheia and playing with her. He loved telling her what he knew of the outside world and seeing how her face would light up at everything they did.

Jason had been trying to convince Perseus to take a share of the money he was making given all the help he had been, but Perseus had blatantly refused saying that the money he would be given could be spent on Antheia instead and was worth it for the company of the two. In only the short time they had been working together Perseus had been able to secure Jason a few valuable shipments for a low cost whilst also buying and selling different products between different traders quickly for a decent profit whilst making good connections amongst each of the parties for further business. It had definitely paid off for Perseus to have talked to and been friendly to the people whose shipments he had moved as it was through these connections that most of their work had been done so far.

Despite the business having been done all in Jason's name, Perseus had developed somewhat of a reputation with the almost legend worthy trading that Jason had made. With the profits Jason had already been able to move into a nicer accommodation for his stay and was working his way up the hierarchy of merchants.

Perseus had found some people asking him for advice or assistance whilst he was working the past few days and had been happy to oblige for some that he believed were good people but had rejected those that demanded his assistance like he was less than them, if only they knew.

On his days off he had been spending time with Callie, they had spent tie around the city with her teaching Perseus more about the mortal world, they had visited one of her favourite beaches down by the lake and also had met with some of her friends from the palace. Over the weeks Callie had told him how she was wondering whether they could possibly court one another, Perseus hadn't seen this coming given his lack of experience with such things but had explained to her how he wasn't prepared for such things and saw her as a sister. They had been awkward for a few days but soon got over it and became closer for it, when they were together now, they would easily be perceived as inseparable siblings and Perseus loved having a sister. Callie similarly loved her newfound brother and was glad that she was able to put aside her romantic feelings once she got over the initial rejection, she hadn't had someone like Perseus to rely on and now she always felt safe and happy with him around.

Currently Perseus was returning from his visit to Jason and Antheia that he made on the way back from the docks, as he arrived back at the household, he was greeted by a large dinner laid out on the table and the rest of the household awaiting him at the table. Whilst they had never been short on food, he had never seen then serve such copious amounts for a single meal, so he was naturally curious as he joined them.

Upon noticing his curiosity both Cynthia and Arthos were both surprised by the fact that he was unaware of the beginning festival especially given the growth in activity within the city the past few days as people came to celebrate it in Tegea. Callie on the other hand had begun simply expecting Perseus not know these types of things and as such upon seeing his expression she leapt into a brief explanation.

"The Synkomidi Festival is a celebration in honour of the Goddess Demeter, we celebrate and make prayers to Lady Demeter for a good harvest season. It also brings in more people to increase trade so that the harvest can be sold and distributed across the state. It extends over a few days, first is tonight when it begins, today we share a feast with family to appreciate those we eat with, tomorrow is the harvest where farmers harvest their crops and others make prayers to Demeter and the other gods, after that is the day of market where the goods are sold at lower prices and entertainment is provided throughout the streets. Lastly there is the biggest day for attracting people across Arcadia, it is the test of combat to crown a victor in the eyes of the gods for this season." Perseus nodded as Callie explained the event to him and upon hearing that it was a time to feast with family, he felt somewhat obtrusive being here.