Chapter 1: The Beginning

Amelia Watson's vision was blurry. She could feel pain throughout her body as she laid under the rubble of her own home. A thunderous storm covered the sky, rain showering her weak body. She attempted to get up, but the debris kept her down leaving her pinned in a helpless position. Looking up through a large gap in the stones that obscured her vision, she could see the intimidating purple eyes of another person looking down at her with a cold stare. The person was levitating in the air, wrapped in thousands of squirming tentacles. Lightning flashed, the light illuminating the figure of a young woman. She looked down at the pocket watch she held in her hand, its golden fob wrapped around it, and gripped it harshly. Her thumb pressed down on the crown, pushing it down with all her strength. Amelia's vision faded to white.

She was floating in darkness. She could see distant images passing by her. A little girl sat on a tree swing in her backyard. Amelia recognized the girl as herself, with her golden blonde hair and blue eyes. She saw her brother and both her parents approaching her. She could not help but reach out to them, but the more she thought she was getting closer, the image faded away faster and faster. A tear streamed down her cheek, as she was greeted by the unforgiving darkness once more. Even if she was wearing her detective clothes, she shivered in the chill of the void. She rolled into a ball, tucking her face away into her knees and closing her eyes.

"Hm?" a deep voice said, coming from all directions at once.

Amelia opened her eyes. She was lying on a floating rock, still in the same position. She sat up, looking around her. In the sky were nebulas with vibrant colors, also accompanied with millions of stars that dotted the sky in a dazzling light show and a great white sun shimmering above. It reminded her of one of the picture books her mother used to read to her as a child. Standing up, she felt the weightlessness of outer space. Despite being in space, she felt no different than she was on Earth, she her heart beat at a normal pace and she never felt short of breath. She started to walk, watching the floating rocks resembling massive stalactites sway up and down in the distance. Amelia watched as the path in front of her transform into a grand staircase. Walking up these stairs, she felt the uncomfortable feeling of being watched. Reaching the top of the stairs, she found herself at a circular platform. A giant sphere hung above, gray and colorless.

The white sun concealed itself behind the ball in the sky. The sphere split across the middle and a yellow eye with a red pupil appeared as its eyelids raised. Amelia stood in place, something keeping her still. Eight long, green tendrils rose from behind the eye, stretching across the vast expanse of the area around them. Her heart beat quickened as the eye stared her down. The sheer size of the being intimidated her down to her soul. Along with the winding tentacles, more eyes appeared, looking in all directions.

"Amelia Watson." the being started, in a man, woman, child, and elder's voice combined into one. " How intriguing, I never expected a visitor to arrive in my realm. "

"Y-you know my name?" Amelia stuttered.

"I know all."

"Who are you?"

"My true name cannot be comprehended through your primitive languages. However, I have been called many names by you humans. I am the Lurker at the Threshold. I am the Opener of the Way. I am Yog-Sothoth. The ordinary mortal would go mad from my presence, however you have not. Perhaps you are one of the gifted?"

"What do you want from me?"

"I would ask the same to you. Why have you come to my doorstep?"

"I didn't want to go here. I'm a time traveler, I just made the jump to go somewhere else."

Its pupil narrowed.