2. A Night of Lonely Nights

TWO YEARS LATERTwo years

TWO YEARS LATER
Two years. It's been two years since Penny, Owen's girlfriend cheated on him. Owen ever since has been in a lonely, deprived world. He did finish med school, but it still hits him where it hurts the most, his heart.

I walked into our room, where Owen was watching Captain America: Civil War. I set on the edge of the couch by him, and smiled. He returned it back only for a milisecond before turning back to the TV. I watched him intently while eating my chicken soup. I hated seeing him this way. Hurt. Vulnerable. Lonely.

I sneezed, and Owen's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"I'm pretty sure you just spit full chicken on me. Like a full chicken just hit me in the face."

I snickered quietly before laughing.

Owen just glared at me. I cleared my throat before giving him a quiet and subtle apology.

"You know, Millie is having a party tonight, and I think you should come tonight."

Owen just stared straight forward. I do. I really think that he could have the chance of meeting someone special tonight.

"I don't feel like partying, Doug! You have a girlfriend to go with, I don't!"

I felt really bad. He's really hurt. But just between you and me, I told him so. Penny had 2 men before Owen within at least 30 days.

"Please just try to come," I begged.

"I'll try." Owen said. My face beamed with joy.

Me and Doug arrived at Millie's house at 7:00, and red cups along with about 20 couples were spread out on the front lawn

Me and Doug arrived at Millie's house at 7:00, and red cups along with about 20 couples were spread out on the front lawn. I lost Doug in the crowd. So I decided to look around. My eyes landed on a short girl with pink jeans and a button down shirt with blue Vans. Her hair with blondish brown in a ponytail. I broke my stare from the girl, and heard moaning. Millie was literally eating Doug's face. I had to look away. It was just too much. Millie, yeah she was- oops let me scratch that- IS a freak.

"Hey! Owen how are you!"

"Better now that I'm here." I couldn't avoid the sarcasm in my voice.

By the time I had turned around, and then turned back, Millie was back to eating my roommate's face. I walked away feeling disgusted, and went into the kitchen to get more beer, and I saw millions of letter stuck to a refrigerator. The one I saw was arranged to "Love is Crazy". I replaced crazy with stupid easily because it's true. I believe Love is Stupid.

"I believe that love is complicated," A strong, beautiful, Australian accent broke my stare from the refrigerator.

I turn around to come face to face with the girl I was staring at a few minutes back, and God, she was even more stunning up close.

"What did you say," I asked the girl. I honestly just wanted to hear her talk again.

"I said, I believe that love is complicated."

A just stared at her and took in her beauty while she talked.

"I mean think about it, Love works in many ways. You can of course, hate someone and love at the same time, you can secretly be in love with someone, and not let them know. You can turn it on and off."

I took in every word she said. I believed it too. Love was also complicated. I was mesmerized by this girl's beauty, and I don't think she noticed how beautiful she was.

"You sound like my literature teacher," I said chuckling and she joined in too.

She then stuck her hand out to me, "Hi. I'm Charlie Watson."

And took her hand and shook it, "Owen. Adams."

"So-" She started.

"-Are you into romance and friendship novels?"

The question is "Who isn't into romance and friendship novels."

"Um, I was.. Until my girlfriend cheated on me with another guy."

Her face softened. She was so beautiful.

"It's fine if you don't want to talk about it."

"Nah it's cool, Doug told me so anyways."

"Doug? You know him? Do you know Millie too?"

"Yeah. Doug is my roommate, and Millie visits Doug's room often."

Charlie shook her hand, knowing what I meant.

A red-haired girl came up to me and Charlie with a smile on her face.

"Hello, Char! Who might your friend be?"

I looked at her. Who was this?

Charlie looked at me before answering, "Hey, Amelia. This is my friend, Owen. Owen, this is my sister, Amelia."

Oh. She has a sister. Now that I think about it, Amelia and Charlie look rich.

"I just came to say hi," Amelia said giddy. "I love to meet new people."

"Okay, Amelia, time to go," Charlie said forcing a smile.

"Bye! Toodles!" Amelia exclaimed then headed off back in the kitchen.

"My sister has always been the confident one out of us. She loves meeting new people, and even though I'm engaged, she loves people in general." Charlie said.

Wait, Charlie's ENGAGED?

"Oh, you're engaged? To who?"

"Um, My fiancee, Jack and I got engaged last summer."

I felt a pang in my heart. But then again, I would mind being friends with a girl.

Guys can be friends with girls and not fall in love, right.

I'm mean I'm in love with her, but with her, I have to be friends first.