11. Knock Some Sense Into You

Doug told me to meet to with him at the park, because he always attends the Tennis Tuesdays, there

Doug told me to meet to with him at the park, because he always attends the Tennis Tuesdays, there. I ask him why he loves it so much when he doesn't play, but he says, and I quote, "I love to throw people of their game."

When I arrived, I can hear him shouting out numerous things to throw people off. Including something about a "Shart Check". I don't know. Doug's weird.

Anyways, this is all I hear:

"Someone sharted, and I think is was Mrs. Stewart. Everyone check!"

"Ha! You could've find that stone if it was in your kidney!"

"I can see your back acne through your blouse."

I walk over to him chuckling. "Look at you drunkenly spewing out joy like a shit Santa."

"Yup."

"That's where we're going now, huh?"

He sighed. "Millie spent a night at Betty's. That house is like a killer home for the troubled. But she had no choice. We a had a fight. First fight as a married couple," He handing his can of beer.  "You want some?"

"Yeah." He went to hand me the can, but not before guzzling it down for a few more seconds, then handing me the can.

Surprisingly, it was still some in the can.

"Look, I'm sorry, ok? Millie talked me into it even though I knew it was a bad idea."

"I'm not like you, Doug. I can't just hook up with someone when they're already with someone else. It's wrong. It's was wrong when my parents did it to each other, or was wrong when Amelia did it to me, and it was wrong when you and Millie did it "secretly" to her ex, long time ago."

"Don't you think that us being married kinda justifies that," Doug asked me.

"No, I don't. Not unless you want to married to someone who doesn't mind cheating." I say.

"Hey, that's my wife. Millie talks a good game, but she's been hurt like everyone else. Her ex was a dick. Hurt her real bad. It's complicated. Love's complicated, and if it's too simple you've got no reason to try, and if you have no reason to try, you don't."

Love is Complicated, I heard Charlie's voice in my mind.

"Oh. Oh. Wait, I just described you." Doug says.

"You know what, maybe you're right. But either way, you're an asshole, Doug."

I got up from the bench, and through the beer can to the side.

Behind me, I hear Doug trying at the tennis players again.

"Hit a three pointer.

            🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋
"I found myself walking to Charlie's house. I don't even know what to say to her. Hi? I'm sorry about our friends' shenanigans? I don't know. Either way, I'm going to apologize. She didn't deserve that. At all.