Chapter One

No matter how fast I ran the guard seemed only a foot away. The metal soles of the twenty guards' leather combat boots made the floor feel as though it was shaking; which made my ability to run much harder. It didn't seem to matter how hard I pushed myself. The faster I ran, the faster they pursued me. Even trying to lose them down winding hallways that never seemed to end and the dark, wide, stone staircases were met with no success. I began to lose track of where I was in this castle. Every wall was lined in the same deep sinister blue with grey walls covered in thorny vines climbing up. Reaching the high rise ceiling that seemed an eternity away. The dying vines clung to the walls, reaching the high rise ceiling which seemed an eternity away. The veins looked as if they grew out of the marble stone floors. However, the labyrinth hallways didn't make my head spin. It was the vengeful whispers that caught my attention.  

"You failed us" the voice rang over and over in a voice I swore I have never heard before, yet why did this shatter my heart and make me want to fall on to my knees and cry. Luckily I didn't fall to my knees. Lucky I was arguably smart enough to keep going.

"I knew you could never do it" another more angry voice chimed in

"Look at what you have done, this is all your fault" That time I did recognize that voice. The voice that seemed the most disappointed, the one that I could hear weeping through each word. It was the voice of my mother. I barely had time to comprehend her words truly before I felt a hand grab my ankles and yank me back. My knees hit the marble floor so hard I thought it was shattered. I yelled out in pain as I tried to yank my leg away from whoever grabbed me. But, when I turned around what I saw that grabbed my ankle wasn't exactly a who... wasn't a what either. What held me defenseless against the quickly approaching guards was a shadow. The black see-through fingers gripping my ankle at such inhuman like strength no matter how hard I tried to pry away its fingers or jerked my leg away it persisted to stay locked on my ankle. Keeping me in place until the guards surrounded me.

I wanted to look them in the eye, tell them all to go to hell with a single stare but when I looked up all their faces were blurry. I couldn't make out eyes or a mouth it all just seemed blended together. The sea of soldiers divined and there stood another blurred face man but this time an urge to reach out and hold him overwhelmed me. He took large steps towards me, his dusty blonde hair swaying slightly with each step. I think he tried to speak to me but all that came out was muffled sounds that I couldn't understand. As he spoke he began to tower over me. Hovering as if I was a meer insect and he was the owner who was deciding to exterminate me or not. The man reached down with a black-gloved hand to touch me I heard a voice call out to me and everything froze in its place.

"Cyra!" The man's hand froze inches from my face, the armies blurred stares locked on me, even I felt like I couldn't move an inch "CYRA!" the voice was yelling louder, more desperate this time.

My world was plunged into cold darkness "come on Cyra! Wake up!".

My eyes shot open and I launched myself out of my blanket; knocking down my younger brother Efrain in the process "hey watch it" he whined up at me but I was unable to reply. I rushed over to the window and whipped it open sighing as the cool breeze spread across my hot and sweaty skin. I pulled back my raven hair that was plastered to my face. I was sure the dream was real. I was also sure that I was about to die. I had to keep reminding myself that it was a dream...even if it felt real and every emotion felt justified it was just a dream. I felt my younger brothers eyes lasering in the back of my head and I let out a low groan

"What do you want dweeb" I turned my head around to look at the green-eyed boy.

"You've been staring out the window for like fifteen minutes, are you okay? You're skin in a lot paler than usual. I didn't think that was possible" Efrain mumble the last part to himself as if I wasn't two feet away from him. Though odd as it seemed, his question hit me a bit. Was I okay? It seemed I couldn't even answer that question for myself. Something about that dream seemed...foreshadowing.