Chapter Seven

~11 years ago~

"You know no one actually wants you here. You're just the town's charity case we all feel bad for," Harry said before shoving me to the ground. The air left my lungs in a soft whooshing sound. He and his two friends stood over me in a half circle formation. The light blue coats of their uniforms swaying in the wind. Harry's beady eyes glared down at me as if I had offended him. He was better than me, and it was apparent he knew it by the way he propped his head up with his nose in the air. He was a thin boy who could probably get blown away by a stiff breeze, but he strangely stuck fear into my heart. He had been attacking me for about two weeks now, and Harry made me promise never to tell another soul. Plus I had no one to tell. I didn't want to bother them with my problems, my older brother was never home due to work, and my younger brother is 2. I had no one; I had to suffer alone. 

"I-I'm sorry..." My voice turned raspy and hushed. Harry leaned over and stepped on my hand with his big black boots. I bit my lip in an attempt to keep quiet as I screamed in pain. Harry told me that if anyone caught us, he would make my life a living hell. Attack and harass me whenever he got the chance, throw every verbal abuse he could think of at me. Make sure no one in Recline ever saw me as more than the girl no one wanted. 

"Oh I'm gonna make you sorry," I covered my eyes with my hands on an attempt to protect myself when I saw he lifted his fist. But, a hit didn't come. I heard a loud smacking sound, and I opened my eyes. Two large stones had fallen to the ground in front of me. Harry laid on the ground holding his head in pain. 

"All three of you put together couldn't even make up one brain cell! Pick on someone your size you idiots!" Before I could check to see whose voice it was, another rock came flying at Harry. They took off running before it hit them.

"Cyra are you okay?!" I turned around to see Leillan running toward me. I didn't think I've ever been so happy to see someone. I stood slowly and cradled my hand with my other arm.

"Yeah, I am fine... Thank you Leillan" Leillan put her hand on my shoulder. Her dark blue eyes on my colorless grey. She was searched over my face to see if I lied. I did lie. Her eyes went softer, and her hand cupped my shoulder. Leillan knew I lied, the proof was written on her face. She chose not to say anything.

"Did you expect me to let those dummies hurt you? Sorry, but if they would've messed up your face, we wouldn't be able to be friends anymore." She began to laugh at her own joke "Seriously though. I would never let anyone hurt you, Cy. I will always be your knight in shining armor" Leillan puffed out her chest and put her hands on her hips. I laughed, but the now intensified pain in my hand made me grind my teeth in pain. Leillan put her arm around my shoulders. 

"Let's get you back home Cy. Your dad already thinks I am a bad influence." 

"To be fair, you did convince me to smuggle a family of ducks in my room," I pointed out

"Was the dumb? Yes, Do I regret it? Nope," We laughed as we made our way through the colony. When I had her, I was never alone. 

~Present~

Blood was everywhere. Pooling around Leillan like a river. I ran to her quicker than I have ever run for anything. I was convinced that my heart was going to explode by how fast it was pounding. Once I got to her, I immediately went to my knees. My eyes were scanning over her body, scoping everything on her. I began to feel the hot blood touch my bare knees. People were running around us, but I didn't care about any of them. At that moment the only thing my heart was breaking for was Leillan. She took a knife for me. She saved me. My knight in shining armor

"Leillan, oh my god Leillan," I said in an almost blind panic. She was shaking and beginning to cough up blood. 

"HELP!" I screamed in every direction, but people seemed to be deaf to my cries for help. I held one of Leillan's bloody hands close to my chest.