Chapter Twenty

"Keep moving Cyra."

The voice that never left my mind chanted over and over again. I have nowhere to go since Sir Colway had me trapped in Harmony's study as he rambled on about how killing the Vinick king at this moment would be a terrible idea. His hoarse words went in one ear and right out the other since my attention was to everything but him. I gazed over all the vibrant colored flowers covering the walls in a pattern of breath-taking twists and loops. I ran my fingertips over the freshly polished glass desk that still had one single fingerprint left that I allowed my heart to assume was Harmony's. Air tracing the print so I didn't ruin the least part of him that I truly had, I felt my heart full with pain and choked down the tears that flooded my eyes.

"Cyra, he is just saying this because he wants you to fail. Think about it, if you fall from the throne he is the one that gets to take your place. Isn't he the one that has had it out for you since the beginning?" Delaney purred in my ear. It had been a week since my mother was shot in the flowers, and Delaney has been the main person by my side. Always within arms reach and pushing me to make my move. 

"She has no place!" Colway yelled, "she will get herself killed, the Vinick will attack us, and we will suffer just because her highness is going through grief!"

"She does have a plan!" Delaney shouted back at him "so maybe before you go having a stroke on us you can sit down and listen for once".

"Keep moving Cyra"

"KEEP MOVING CYRA" the voices in my head were now screeching. I jumped to my feet, this action caught them both by surprise since they wiped their heads around to look at me.

"First, stop talking around me as if I am not in the room," my tone was overly calm "second, Delaney is right I was able to come up with a plan that will kill the king and no one will know it was me doing it". I rested my arms on the table as I leaned forward to gain Colway's full attention.

"So enlighten me," his words dripped in rattling anger.

"The Vinick king knows nothing about me, no one knows anything about me... I am the king's personal maid so I have access to places that no one else is allowed to go. So if I were to head into the king's suite late at night no one would bat an eye". I raised my eyebrow at Colway thinking my words were clear enough, I was proven wrong by the overly lost expression on his face. "I will sneak into the king's room late at night and kill him...I will sneak out before anyone knows anything happened and I will vanish by the time they find the king."

"But what if-" Colway began to object but Delaney gave him a cutting glance. I guess her coldness could stop anyone in their tracks.

"When are you going?" he mumbled under his breath.

"I leave tonight," I said, "I will catch the next transport heading to Vinick and pretend as if everything is okay so I can get close with him once again then when he falls asleep I will attack, I will be back that night". I crossed my arms over my chest and walked over to a nearby window. From here I could still see into the sunflowers, there was a small patch of broken flowers where she fell. I felt nothing but anger bubble up. What was wrong with me? My brothers have been sobbing their eyes out and curled up in their beds since the tragedy happened but I haven't cried since the first day it happened. I learned to swallow my tears since all I needed was for people to think I was weak. I mean I was a girl who is a no one from off the streets, I already had people who believed I was bound to fail. I heard Colway sign in defeat.

"Fine, it is clear that your stubbornness will never let you listen to me, just don't be late for your speech. You need to let your people know they are in good hands". He turned and walked out of the office. The stained glass doors shook from the force of him slamming them. I took a few deep breaths and rested my head against the window frame