Chapter Sixteen

{Harmony POV} 

What is fear? We all experience it, yet if I were to ask someone what it was, would they have a definite answer for me? As I sit on the steps of the palace watching people pass by, I have realized that fear is different for us all. For a mother, it's being afraid of her child scraping his knee on the gravel road. Fear makes her run after her child in speed; only fear could give her. For the teenage boy who is about to talk to a girl, fear makes him freeze in place as if he is a stone statue. And finally for the dying 21-year-old king, fear pushes him to do the things the king before him was too timid to do. I joined a rebellion that would turn the tides of this war. 

There was no telling how long I sat on these steps, but I honestly did not want to know. I wanted to feel as if, for once in my life; time was irrelevant to me. I wanted to feel the sun warm up my skin and smell the freshly baked bread from the town's bakery one last time. Knowing it is your final day made all the colors in the sky more vibrant, the clouds seemed like newly spun cotton. I heard the doors open behind me. 

"Mind explaining yourself to me your Highness?" The deep cynical tone let me know Sir Colway speaking

"Well, right now I am relaxing before my wedding tonight, what would you like me to explain to you?" I asked, knowing what he meant but playing stupid. 

"The wedding? And what about the ceremony right after that you requested? Do you really think that uneducated swine could lead a country better than I could? 

"Please do not call my fiance uneducated swine. You can always teach someone how to read or even military strategy, but a person could never obtain the light that Cyra has within her," I pushed passed Sir Colway on my way inside. "Now come on Sir Colway I must get ready for my wedding." 

Servants flew through the halls trying to transform the vast kingdom into something suitable for a wedding. Lavish golden curtains replaced with glimmering white ones, all the vases in the castle were filled with only the most eye-catching and bright flowers Majiey had to offer. Even the floor was more radiant than usual with an added sparkle. I smiled at all the maids and butlers that I passed. I could still remember the angry looks on their faces when I announced the event to them and how soon they had to plan it. 

All this felt so unreal to me. As if this was all some fever dream that I would awaken from. I would wake up healthy and not about to get married, but alas, I would not awaken. Harmony Anwell was dying, and he was about to be married to a girl with a hidden strength that would save them all. I knew Cyra's power from the moment I met her. I loved her, but not romantic love. Maybe if I had more time on this earth than the love I have for the bright grey eyes beauty would flourish into something beyond what I feel, but for now, her friend is all I seek. Her great need to put others in front of herself and fight for what is right strike me in a way no one ever had. 

You will die tonight, my beloved son, join me in the palm of death. My mother's voice filled my head as if she was sitting in front of me. Would I see her? Embrace her? Even saying simple words to her would bring me peace. I guess I would soon find the answer to those questions. 

I ventured to Cyra's room and gently knocked on the white-painted door. I could hear the maids running around her room and Cyra's sweet voice apologizing for not standing straight enough. I opened the door, and the sea of maids parted enough for me to see Cyra, my mouth dropped. Her gown was a beautiful mixture of silky blue and radiant purple swirled together in a dazzling swirl; she had blue see-through sleeves that had white pearls around her wrist. The neckline on the dress hung around her chest and was lined with purple and white flowers with pearls scattered down the dress that met with a dazzling flower belt that gave the slightly puffed dress a loving shape to it. There was a long slit along the bottom right side of her dress that was almost hidden among elegant tulle. Soon the maids noticed my presence and they all stood to attention, once quickly following the other. Cyra's stormy grey eyes looked up at me through the mirror.