Chapter Eight

I woke up late that night. How was I able to sleep through all the chaos of this busy doctor's station? I am not quite sure; maybe my sleepless night before mixed with the crash of an adrenaline rush caught up with me. The room was calm and nearly pitch dark. Dozens of bodies were fast asleep on beds similar to Leillan's. The room was so packed there were even beds that flooded out the door. 

"Not to be creepy but I was waiting for you to wake up" Harmony's voice made me snap my attention to him. He was sitting at the foot at the bed. The table light near me was on, and I was able to instantly see how hollow his usual bright green eyes have become. 

"Sorry if you witnessed me drool all over the place," I sat up and leaned forward, so I didn't wake up Leillan; who was thankfully sleeping contently near me.

"I just," Harmony stopped mid-sentence and rubbed his hand over his face. "I-I saw so much.." he stopped again. His hands were shaking and looked at the floor almost ashamed. It was like he was locked in his thoughts — a prisoner to his mind. I needed to help him, set him free.

"Hey, let's get out of here," I put my hand on Harmony's. They were laced together so tightly Harmony's knuckles were turning white. He turned to look at me. 

"I have somewhere I have been wanting to take you," Harmony stood up and offered an arm to me. I checked to make sure Leillan was sleeping before I accepted. Harmony guided me down hallways and through the back courtyard. He made sure to keep a slow pace so I could keep up with him. 

"You still haven't told me where you are going. For all, I know you are kidnapping me," I teasingly nudged him with my elbow. 

"I am taking you to my greenhouse; It is where I go as an escape from being....well from being Harmony the king of Majiey. I need that escape," He whispered the last part as if it was something I wasn't supposed to hear. He walked through the outdoor courtyard and rounded the vast corners of the castle. Soon I could see the greenhouse. It was nearly as large as the castle, made out of clear glass with yellow and silver stained glass boarding the outside. 

"Is there anything that isn't beautiful here?" I said in a shocked tone.

"I am afraid not," Harmony said with a laugh "My mother made sure to spend all her attention on every detail when creating this kingdom. Every brick, art piece and the building was picked out by her. Her eye for beauty was remarkable" A look of pain crossed his face then it dawned on me why. The kingdom was destroyed. The fire burned down gardens and structures, acid melted streets, and homes were damaged during the fight. His connection to his mother was cut. We entered the greenhouse, and I felt like I was transported to a place only gods were meant to see. Sparkling lights danced through the air and brightly colored flowers grew in every direction as if they were exploding with vibrancy. At the other end of the greenhouse, there was a crystal spiral staircase that led up to another level that I would only guess led up to more beauty. Harmony guided me over to a wooden bench in the middle of a patch of yellow roses.

"Yellow roses represent happiness and friendship. They reminded me of you. You almost try to make people happy, even when you have to sacrifice your own, and you value friendship. You even gave little ole me a chance" He put a hand on my shoulder and gave it a light squeeze. I reached down and cupped one of the flower's petals in my hand. The bright leaf was soft and slightly wet from dew. 

"Cyra I brought you here because I believed that it would make telling you this easier," I turned to look at him. Harmony was turned towards me. The floated lights passing between up as he gained the courage to speak again; to break the bad news to me. 

"You need to leave for Vinick tonight. Word has come from our sources that the coronation has been moved to happen in two days. After the coronation, Prince Arksel will be locking the castle doors. Only royals and those who have deep connections will be able to get in unless a ball is held. We need to get you in a maid position before the doors are locked and we lose our chance." Harmony's hand now laid on my forearm. My body felt as if it had gone into shock. All my senses went numb, and I felt cold. As if my bones turned into ice.