Chapter nine

I starred out the window paralyzed with utter terror. I was sweating, but my blood ran cold. My mouth ran dry, and my tongue felt heavy in my mouth; as if someone had filled my mouth with stones. I felt like I was going to throw up all over the transport floor. Watching my family and Quillan get chased but not being able to do anything, was absolute torture. 

Don't let anyone know you are not Vinick. 

Don't get caught. 

Save them Cyra. 

Don't let the Vinick get them!

My mind was at war with itself. My eyes darted around to see all the other girls were either sleeping or paying no account to the event going on outside. The Vinicks were focused on one of the two transports, the slower one that was too bulky to keep up with the other Majiey carrier. It was either my family or Quillan in that transport. Someone I would die for was in that transport. If this were just my life on the line, I would've jumped out and ran to help even if it meant I would die for it, but it wasn't just me. I had Harmony, Leillan, all of Majiey and Recline who relied on me not getting catch. So all I could do is watch. I watched as they circled the slower carrier, letting the second one go. My breathing stopped when one the ground shifted under the transport causing it to flip over. It landed, and the earth shook yet none of the girl paid attention. Did they not feel it or did they all just not care. I wanted to scream. I wanted to run. I had to stay as still as a statue and as quiet as a mouse. I felt like I was a prisoner to my body. 

The red-haired girl walked out with a pack of men. They looked like wolves that were ready to attack. I tried to make out who would be in the transport, my family or Quillan. Who had gotten away and who would be subject to whatever the Vinick had in store for them. One of the soldiers tore off the door as if it was paper and threw it behind him. 

Save them Cyra.

Get caught, and the rebellion falls.

I bit my lip so hard that it began to bleed, but I didn't care. The iron tasting liquid filled my mouth, but my body was frozen, eyes locked on the window as the soldier pulled out a man with strawberry blonde hair. My heart dropped to the ground when they pulled out Quillian. He just spat at the soldier. That earned him a heavy kick to the side. Tears ran down my cheeks when I saw him curl over and spew his guts on the sandy ground. I was a terrible person; I was scum. I wished it was Quillian in that car. Quillian rather than my mother and brothers. I hated myself as much as I hated the man who had slammed Quillan to the ground and screamed at him. 

I had no idea what he was saying, probably pressuring him for information. The soldier held a hand to his throat and squeezed tightly. I felt as if I could feel his fingers on my throat. I felt the air leave my lung and my chest burn. Delaney gripped my arm and pulled me out of eyesight of the window, careful enough for no one to question it. 

"Stop crying, or you will get caught," Delaney whispered in my ear. "You can cry all you want when you're alone but not here!" her voice seemed icy and cruel. 

"I-I can't; they have Quillian. They are hurting him," I muttered trying to wipe the tears from my face. 

"This is a rebellion Cyra either toughen up or go back home," though her words were harsh they were right. I had to build walls between the soft person I was in recline and who I was now. But now, I just wanted to attack something or curl up in a ball. I saw the red-haired girl point to the Vinick transport; the soldiers dug him by his wrist before tossing him into the back of the carrier as if he was a feather. What could they want with him back at the castle? What the heck would they do to get information out of him? Quillan was a fighter, he was a sarcastic stubborn man, but he was a fighter in every sense. Their transport finally caught up with ours. I took this time to process what had just happened. Leillan is in the hospital, and Quillian just became a prisoner. What could I do? I had to help at least one of them. If I couldn't be there for Leillan, I had to break Quillian free. Something told me it was going to be much harder than just walking through the castle and setting him loose. Would Delaney help me? Or would she rather me suffer on my own. It already seemed she wasn't my biggest fan.