Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Leo

Leo was shaking like a leaf, which one: he probably looked like a moron and two: he felt like a five year old. Then again, he’d just been told why his supposed “teammate” just tried to kill him. How was he supposed to know that piece of wood meant life or death for Frank? For that matter, why was it in his room in the first place? And why did Frank sound like Dirt Woman right before he passed out? Wow, Leo hated questions; especially now. Why couldn’t they just have an easy quest for once? Like go save the ice cream factory from the teddy bears who throw pillows? Why did it have to be giants and ogres and very sharp, very deadly, weapons.?

“Question number six,” Leo muttered to himself.

“What’d you say?” Hazel asked. Leo looked up in surprise. He’d forgotten that they were sitting outside the First Aid room waiting to see if Frank would be all right.

“Oh what? Uh, nothing, I just said ‘Sensation Cucumber mix’.” Oh wow, Leo thought. That was bad even for you.

“Right,” Hazel said, eyeing him suspiciously. Gods, why did he say such stupid things in front of her? Sure she was pretty, and smart, and funny, and listened to him, and actually laughed at his jokes… Oh no, Leo said to himself, this will not be a Thalia repeat. You do not like her and you won’t. Besides, she has Frank, right?

“So, are you and Frank a couple?” Smart move genius. Hazel’s face turned bright red and she looked at her feet.

“Um, we’re really good friends and everything, but, uh, no, I guess, not really,” Hazel said, still staring at the ground. Suddenly, the door swung open. Thank gods, Leo thought. He made a mental note to thank the god of avoiding awkward situations later. Jason stepped out into the hallway. Hazel stood up and eyed him nervously.

“He’s going to be fine,” Jason said. Hazel let out a huge sigh of relief. “He’s a bit hazy and doesn’t remember anything after sitting with you on the couch, so my guess is Gaea did something to him in during that time, and that’s what caused the whole episode in the end. He said he does vaguely remember getting up in the middle of the night yesterday and going into yours and Leo’s room, though.” Then the pieces fell into place.

“Of course!”

“What is it Leo?” Jason asked.

“That’s how the stick ended up in my room! Gaea must’ve used some hypno-possession thing and made him place it in my room. And that’s why I tripped over it in the first place.”

“So she’s already trying to drive us apart,” Hazel said blankly.

“You’re right. Come on, we’ll go tell the others.” Jason said. He took one step forward and suddenly the whole ship lurched forward. Leo hit the floor with Jason right on top of him. Hazel had steadied herself on the door handle.

“Dude, I’m not a bed, you mind getting off?” Leo asked.

“It’s not my fault the ship decided to have a spaz attack,” Jason defended.

“Yeah well you could’ve landed somewhere else besides on top of me.”

“Well you-”

“Ladies, you’re both pretty, can we go figure out what’s going on now?” Hazel said. The door to the infirmary flew open and Piper, Percy, and Annabeth came running out of the room.

“What the heck was that?!” Piper yelled. The ship shook again and Leo looked up.

“Let’s go find out, Hazel you stay with Frank. Everyone else, follow me.” He led them up a few flights of stairs and soon they were in the main control room, and the sight that greeted them wasn’t pleasing at all. The panel was smoking like crazy and there were torrents of wind were blowing through the now broken windows.