Chapter 16

OKAY EVRYONE. IT'S FINALLY CAHPTER 16. 

Colin: They're going to come after you with grenades when they find out what you did.

Me: NO! Stop it. They won't. I don't need you making me nervous

Colin: Okay, it's your funeral. I told you to change it. But no one listens to me.

Me: Because you're annoying. You know what, you're distracting me. Shut up.

Okay this chapter isn't as long because it's in Leo's POV. Yeah. BIG HUGE FREAKING CLUE ALERT. What? Who said that? Whatever. Read on and then YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY READ WHAT I WRITE AT THE END OR I DON'T KNOW YOU MIGHT CRY SO JUST DO IT OKAY? Okay Chincillas. Go ahead. Read. I've talked enough. 

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO: CHAPTER 16

Chapter 16

Leo

The air dropped about twenty degrees, and Leo could already see his breath forming small puffs of mist. It was freezing, but he was shaking for a whole different reason. For a moment, no one said anything. Silence hung in the air with the chill. Then Annabeth found her voice.

“I’ll go.” Two words. That’s what it takes for Percy Jackson to turn paler than snow. He looked at Annabeth with disbelief at first. Like he didn’t understand what she’d just said.

“What?” Percy asked, clearly needing to hear again what he didn’t believe.

“I said that I’ll go, I can-”

“No! Stop talking. Now,” He said.

“Percy-”

“I don’t want to hear this Annabeth! You’re being ridiculous. There’s gotta be another way we can fix this. You’re not just gonna give up like this. We’ve worked too hard. She wants this to happen! Can’t you see? She-she wants us all to be separated! And she can’t do it when we’re all together. Come on, we’re getting outta here. I don’t care, we’ll find a way to stop Gaea. But not like this.” He looked at the gaping hole in front of them. “Not like this. Let’s go.” He grabbed Annabeth’s hand and pulled, but she stayed cemented to the ground.

“Just listen-”

“No Annabeth!” Percy turned and yelled. Annabeth winced and stared at Percy. But then something happened. Leo saw Percy’s shoulders slump, like all the energy was suddenly drained from him. He stared at the ground and something fell off his cheek and splashed onto the ground; a teardrop. Percy looked up and his face was moist. He placed his hand on Annabeth’s shoulder and hung his head. “I-I can’t…I can’t lose you. I just-I can’t. I just got you back. Please. I’m not strong enough. I’m lost without you. Don’t do this. I promise. We can stop her some other way. Just-don’t leave me. Please, Annabeth.” Percy’s words made Leo feel like crying. Annabeth lifted Percy’s chin.

“Seaweed Brain, look at me. Percy Jackson, you’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me. From that first time I met you to this moment right now, I’d hold up the sky all over again if it meant I wouldn’t have to lose you. Every time we talked, trained, and fought together, I always found something else that made me love you even more. I wouldn’t change a single thing that we’ve ever done. You’ve always understood me. And now I need you to understand what needs to happen.” Tears now cascaded down Percy’s cheeks, and Annabeth had some trailing from her eyes as well.

Leo felt something breaking inside. He couldn’t watch someone lose the person they loved. He knew that feeling all too well that night in the machine shop. And like that, something in his mind clicked. He felt something build inside. Loyalty. Courage. Bravery. he didn’t know which one, but he knew what had to be done. What his destiny, he finally realized, meant. Piper, Jason, Frank, and Hazel were transfixed on the sadness unfolding in front of them.

Leo looked at the Veil, the white ends bursting with light, the screams echoing in darkness. It seemed to draw him in. He took a step forward, and another. Soon he began a steady pace toward the tear. And for the first time since he accepted this quest, for the first time since he found out he was a demigod, Leo wasn’t scared. All he felt was pride. Pride knowing that the six people behind him were willing to lay down their lives for him. Him. The fifteen year old street kid who almost a year ago was on his own wondering where he’d sleep that night, who now had a new family who cared for him.

He could almost hear mother’s voice in his head: “If the world ended, Mijo, it wouldn’t really have. As long as you have the people who love you. Promise me, Leo. Promise me that you will never lose sight of what’s really important.”

“I promise Mom,” Leo whispered out loud.

When reality once again took its hold, he was standing in front of the Veil, the horrid screams were deafening. Leo turned and took one last look at his friends. He could see Jason look over his shoulder, around the room, and then at him.

“Leo!” He screamed, and every head snapped in his head direction. Annabeth raised her hand and yelled stop. He locked eyes with Hazel for a moment, her eyes full of pain and confusion. Piper took a step forward and Leo realized it was now or never. So he raised hand into the air, grinned like he never had before, and bowed. Then he stood up straight and outspread his hands.

“Ladies, Gentlemen, it’s been an honor.” Piper screamed something, but it was inaudible to his ears as he took a step into the Veil. A brilliant flash of light blinded him and a deafening boom shook the room. Leo felt like he was flying. He flashed back to the time his mom had found the time to take him to the park. It had just gotten a new swing set and Leo couldn’t wait to try it out.

“Look! Mommy look! I’m swinging!” Leo jumped from the swing and landed safely in his mother’s warm embrace.

“I told you I’d always catch you when you fall,” she said.

Leo wondered if she’d be there to catch him this one last time. Then suddenly, the world went black with silence.

And then nothing.

Colin: OKAY I NEED EVERYONE TO CALM THE BLOODY HELL DOWN FOR TWO SECONDS, OKAY? Are we calm now? Good? Alright. So I'm going to talk because I'm British and you should always listen to British people. But that's beside the point. What I want to say is that you NEED NOT put mean things in the comments about the story, because @JusticeHasVoice DOES have a storyline to keep going and think for a second: This is HER we're talking about. Why whould she do anything like that to Leo? SHE'S LIKE FREAKING IN LOVE WITH HIM. Okay that's all for now. The next Chapter, I'm told, should be up soon. Don't be mean AND COMMENT OKAY. YEAH FOR BRITISH PEOPLE.

Me: What? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? 

Colin: I think I'm saving your sorry arse. 

Me: You...did that...for me?

Coling: Don't get used to it. But, I would get out of here ASAP if I were you and go write Chapter 17.

Me: Yeah I probably should. OKAY BYE COLIN

Colin: Alright, what does she call you? Chinchillas? That's dumb, you're people. Whatever. I need not get involved with that. Anyway keep checking for Chapter 17. BYE