Hair Cut

Above is kinda how I imagine Sasha, you see her as you like

"So Owen." We were sat in the overgrown grass of a nearby park, having a quiet Sunday afternoon.

"Yeeees." Owen was very focused, fiddling with my hair like he used to do, trying to figure out how to braid and failing miserably.

"We have the whole day free to do anything we'd like, what shall we do?"

"Hmmm, well I know what I'd like to do." He leaned his face in a little closer to mine and gave that dirty smirk of his.

I push him off playfully, "Okay not anything then, stupid head."

"I've been here for three weeks and haven't seen my old friends since, maybe we could take a drive? You could see Sasha again?" He said apprehensively. "She's changed Soph, I promise."

I was hesitant. I hadn't seen Sasha since she told the whole school I was a slut and had a threesome with Owen and Kyle. "I um... okay, I can see her again." He gave me his dimply grin and pulled me up, off the grass.

Having Owen back was just like old times, we were comfortable together, he reminded me of the only place I'd ever found friends, apart from here at Eastern Boys Acadamy.

We road tripped three hours out of town to Sasha's house, "And she knows I'm coming? Are you sure?"

"Yes, Sophie! Don't worry she's chilled, she's expecting both of us and is excited to see you, okay?" He gave my knee a shake as he drove the faded red Ute. I didn't know I missed Owen so much until he came back into my life.

Three knocks on the old blue door I used to come through every day after school, staying at Sasha's house basically all weekends.

The door opened and the girl I used to know stood there, a smile on her face, we stood there awkwardly for a moment, then she rushed over with a hug, the kind we used to share so often and hadn't even thought about since.

"It's good to see you", she whispers in my ear. "You too big boy." She squeezes Owen's biceps while pulling him in for a hug too. Just like old times. "Come in, come in! I got something to show you guys."

Leading us up the rickety white staircase to her bedroom, she bombards me with questions, being the same bubbly self she always was. "So how's the boy prison? Many hotties? Who am I kidding, of course there are hotties! I can't believe we haven't seen each other since you moved Sophie! I didn't even know about it, and now Owen's moved too - how's the game over there? You've hardly told me anything about it, guys I want to know everything!" She practically pushed us onto her bed to sit and she lounged in her desk chair.

When she stopped, we didn't even know where to start. 

"Ball's good, I've got some scouts keeping track of me, and knowing where I was last year," His eyes moved quickly between us both, "Well we never thought I'd be looking at scholarships did we." He gave a fake chuckle, he'd practically rehearsed this speech to everyone that asks him about his sport. "Actually that was a long drive, I gotta use the shitter."

"Always the charmer isn't he." We laughed together as Owen left the room, leaving us two to sit there, awkward, in silence.

"...Are we gonna talk about last year at all? Cause I think we need to." I said slowly, nervously.

"I'm sorry Sophie. I never said sorry to you. I ruined your life and I know that. I take full responsibility for anything you felt, anything you went through. I'm just really sorry. And I miss you, I miss us three, don't you?"

"Why'd you do it?" The sorry's were a given, I needed to know why.

A long pause. "I... don't know." A tear ran down her cheek, then mine. "I think I was jealous. You seemed perfect to me Soph; your relationship with your dad, you'd found Owen, I was practically a third wheel in the friendship by that point. It was really low of me-"

"The lowest."

"Yes, and I would never do anything like that again, I'd die before I hurt my best friend like that."

"Best friend?"

"I think we still can be, don't you?"

"Yeah, I suppose so." We looked hopefully at each other, wiping a few silent tears from our cheeks.

"Oh um- sorry I can leave you girls to it-" Owen entered on this moment, seeing two girls crying together after coming back from "the shitter".

"No, stay! I need to show you what I mentioned before!" She made her way over to a weirdly shaped something hidden under a white sheet. Sasha dramatically lifted it off, "Ta daaa!"

"This is what you wanted to show us?" Owen said, unimpressed. 

"It's my hairdressing station! I passed the course! I can charge now, be a real hairdresser like I always wanted!" Sasha was that person in the class, in the corner, who was always randomly cutting their hair with scissors. She loved this shit and had been studying a three-year course for it.

"Congrats S!! Very proud of you, when's your first paying customer coming?" I felt her excitement, this was a big moment for her, the only job she'd ever wanted to do.

"Well... I haven't exactly sorted that out yet, but I will! I'll post some stuff on FaceBook, spread some fliers, you know, advertise, get my name out there. I'll have customers in no time." She said enthusiastically.

"Come on Sash, I'm sure your good, but maybe you should look at working for someone first? It's gonna be too hard on your own." Owen came in with his mood ruining logic.

"Look, I did my time working for others during my course, I want to be my own boss. Just need a customer first."

"Cut my hair." They turned to me at the same time.

"Really?" They both questioned incredulously.

"But you've always been so attached to your long locks, never let me touch them when I was learning."

"Yeah, because you were learning! I wasn't gonna trust a trainee with my hair." We laughed together, the air felt so clear, different to the same room we sat in five minutes ago.

"You sure you want to, Soph?" Owen asked.

"I'm sure, I've been growing my hair for basically my whole life, it's time for a change."

"Okay then, I'll cut it, how short?"

"When I say stop."

~~~~~

Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment xoxo