Chapter Fifteen

"You have your memory back?" Duvessa asked in a shrill voice and stepped out of the shadows.

"No." I glanced at Duvessa, narrowing my eyes. "I don't 'have my memory' back, but you know that." Looking back to Dr. Stanzo, feeling Calin stiffen over what I implied, I added, "I just don't feel like chatting with anyone willing to go to Devland behind my back." I tilted my head and smiled. "I mean, how could I trust them enough to say anything at all?"

"Nora, I was only trying to—"

"I no longer require your services, Dr. Stanzo. I get how the whole magic thing kept you from treating me like any other amnesiac, I do." I nodded. "But to rat me out to Devland for skipping out on Sunday?" I shook my head. "Not. Cool."

"I was worried, Nora. That's all. I called during what was supposed to be our session to see if you were home or had another relapse."

"That's not what Devland said." Was I making a mistake? Even if she was being honest, therapy outside of school would only take time from my plan, so no. I needed to end it. "I have a counsellor now, Dr. Stanzo, so I don't need you." I smiled back at Duvessa. "Now you'll be free to help those who are really troubled."

"You little—"

"—witch?" I finished for Duvessa and nodded. "Yeah, I'm starting to get that. But no worries. I'm sure your spell worked. For now."

At least regarding the accident, though after Zach explained the book, I was sure the block was my own doing. If Devland's spells were broken, Duvessa didn't stand a chance of hoping that whatever she did or didn't do would work.

"Let's go, Calin," I said, and placed my hand in his, as much for control as I knew it would piss her off having to see us leave together.

"What did you do, Duvessa?" he asked, clenching his jaw.

We all turned to him, taken by surprise by his anger.

"Calin." I squeezed his hand and thought of the times he'd calmed me down, but he didn't look away. "Come on." I squeezed again and was finally rewarded as he looked away from Duvessa to me, almost like he was as confused as I was to have gotten through. Smiling, I nodded to the door and lowered my voice. "Let's go."

He looked back to Duvessa and I thought he was about to growl. Instead, he said, "Consider what I told you would happen if you messed with Nora in full effect." Licking his lips, he smiled down to me, squeezing my hand and nodded to the door. "Let's go."

*****

Back in the car, finally on our way to the clearing, I pulled out the syllabus Mrs. Hendrey had provided. If anything, I thought it would provide a good laugh, and at least pass time until I could learn how to be 'calm'. But most of it was Wickenton's history, which, aside from Brad's overview, I knew nothing about. There was a bit about artifacts, though, and I could ace that in my sleep.

Waving the papers in front of me, I pointed to the last section, and asked Calin, "What is this?"

He glanced over and back to the road. "What?"

"Important figureheads? Is that just introducing who can be worshipped? Like the Divine Spirit, holidays, and Esbats and Sabbats or whatever? Or is it specific, like which deities and the polarity and stuff?"

Calin laughed. "You're over-thinking it, Nora."

"Huh?"

"It introduces the Council, people like Devland."

I squinted at the page, confused. "But they don't have much effect outside of Wickenton. At least, they didn't around Briarville."

Calin didn't say anything, becoming focused entirely on driving. I went on edge, realizing that Calin was now making a conscious effort to avoid glancing my way—every time we were in the car, he looked at me when he thought I wasn't aware. Usually, even that didn't stop him.