Chapter Twenty-Five

My laughter died, my movement freezing for a count of five before I slowly looked up and found Duvessa staring down at me. Lifting my hands off my knees, I stood straight and raised my chin. "Are you gloating?"

She pursed her lips and raised her eyebrow.

"Oh, come on." I rolled my eyes. "I know it's you."

"What?"

"Seriously?"

"Are you talking about the accident with the tower?"

"I just don't know why Mr. Corbin is covering it up." If it was Duvessa, how could I feel her magic on the prank and not when she used it in front of me? How can I prove it's her?

"You really hit your head, Nora, if you think—"

"I know it was you, Duvessa," I said, grabbing her arm as she began to walk away. "And I will prove it."

Duvessa pulled her arm free and narrowed her eyes. "Then if it was me, you should be careful. If someone did that to the tower, they must be powerful."

Slowly, I smiled and stood tall. "Or stupid."

"Does it look like they were caught?"

"Nope."

"Then how's it stupid?"

I took a step forward and she held her ground. As I passed, I paused and looked her over from to-to-head. "If you did this to prove how powerful you are, then you are very stupid, Duvessa. For thinking no one else is stronger."

"You're not—"

"How's that spell working on Calin?" I raised my eyebrow and my lips lifted in a half-smile. Feeling somewhat vindicated, calmed by my own intent, I looked her over once more and started walking away. With a wave over my shoulder, I called, "That's what I thought."

*****

No one was hurt.

That was the first thought I had as I walked away, followed by the knowledge that I'd be free to delve into finding a way to connect Duvessa to the magic I'd sensed. I mean, by covering it up, Mr. Corbin and Devland couldn't blame me. Or Calin. It was progress. If I could calm myself when faced with a gloating Duvessa, the rest should be easy. In fact, I was happier with that than I was satisfied with confronting Duvessa.

How long would it take for her to notice something had changed?

A day? A week?

There wasn't a definite time frame and I had no way of discovering if she already had. It was possible. I mean, the tower looked like ten classrooms filled with cauldrons had exploded from a combined spell gone horribly wrong. That was power. Or, at the very least, persistence. But now, thanks to her arrogance, I finally had a solid signature.

With that, who needed time?

Hidden or not, Duvessa was too cocky to not use her abilities in front of me.

Passing the library, I waved at the twins and found the nearest exit, smiling. All I had to do was figure out why I couldn't sense her before and fix it. But then... Maybe it didn't matter now. I sensed the magic used on the tower, which meant I should be able to connect it to its user. In theory.

But just in case....

I back-tracked through the door before it could close and found my way back to the library. The twins had been helpful before—not that they wanted to be—and I could ask them again. The first time we'd met, they'd mentioned Duvessa, or at least alluded to her. From what I gathered, there was no love lost, though I bet that could be said for most of the students. Despite their spit-fire red curls, their eyes were filled with warmth, as welcoming as the green of a forest floor.

They will want to help.

Plus, I was convincing, and Devland hadn't issued any threats against what I wanted.

Pausing at the door, I pasted a smile on my face and exhaled. Relax. They are not the enemy. You have to trust someone. It seemed so much easier in my head. When faced with having to ask for help, I felt at a loss. What did I have to offer in return? Normal people didn't just help people they barely knew, even if it was so they could stick it to someone they hardly liked.

This is stupid.

I turned to go, letting go of the handle of the library's glass door, and nearly fell as it swung wide out towards me. Stumbling, an 'oomph' escaped past my lips, and I spread my arms at my sides to catch my balance. Slowly, I straightened. As I looked up, I winced. Identical green eyes watched me with concern.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, we saw you, and thought—"

"—she looks constipated."

"That's not what I was going to say." The girl on my right slapped her sister in the stomach with the back of her hand, rolling her eyes, and I laughed.

The twins.

This must mean I should ask them.

"Thank you, I'm fine." I cleared my throat. "But there was something I wanted to ask you."